SOLVED system restore error 0x80042302

Reaction score
Hi There can somebody please help me i am trying to restore my pc i have tried restarting shadow copy but the start text is faded out i have also tried sfc/scannow option but when opened run as admin it didn't ask for my password but went straight into cmd promt i typed scf/scannow but it said windows cannot complete this operation.I am really trying to avoid a complete reinstall.Any help would be really appreciated,MAC

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What "Start text" are you referring to?

Also, why are you trying to do a system restore here? What's wrong with your system? And have you tried different restore points?

In the future I would recommend using a system image as a backup. It's a great feature in Windows 7 that only maybe 15% of Windows users know about and probably only 50% of that small 15% use it.

Reaction score
Hello Ace,thank you for your email.my knowlege of solving pc problems is pretty limited,but hopefully i can explain. the start text i was referring to was when i right click on shadow copy.i tried using the shadow copy option because i only had 1 restore point for some reason and that wasn't working,so now i have done a complete reinstall.As to using image back up,thats way above my head.If you could explain how to impliment it and how it works i would be really grateful.
many thanks for your input,Mac

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
First you need somewhere to store the backup, so if you don't have a big enough drive to make a partition with enough space you should consider putting the image on a new drive in your computer. It's better if the partition isn't located on your main drive, because that's usually the first one to go in any system event.

It's just in the "Backup and restore" place. If you can't find it, just type "Backup" in your start menu and you'll see it at the top somewhere. System image option is in there. The rest is pretty easy to follow

Ask a Question