SOLVED System Restore does not "remember" restore points.

Reaction score
I have a HP Pavilion notebook; System Restore does not "remember" restore points. I can successfully create a Restore Point, but if I turn off / shut down the laptop, when I next boot it up and check - System Restore will tell me that there are no Restore points created. I can then create a new restore point, but again, when I start up, it's "gone". Anybody know what's up? I can access the Protection Settings, I can turn System Restore ON/Off, I can change how much space to allot to Restore.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Viperbill, welcome to the fourms! When you made your settings for System Restore, did you click "Apply", then "OK"? You must click both to save your settings. Go back and redo your settings, then make sure you click both. You must also have enough free space on your disc to use the program. See if this works, if not, post back. There may be other answers.

Reaction score
Hi Viperbill - Welcome to w7forums

This is a strange problem. If system restore tells you the point was created successfull then there should be a restore point available. The fact that a restore point cannot be found suggest that one never was created to begin with. Either way your system restore is not functioning properly. Let me look into this further and I will report back.

You must click both ("Apply" then "OK") to save your settings.
This is not true. Clicking OK will apply any changes made to your settings. The only time I have needed to click apply is when changing tabs within settings. Changing tabs can reset the previous tab to defaults, losing your changes. Clicking apply before changing tabs will lock in your changes allowing you to continue to a different tab. Where as clicking OK will apply any changes and exit settings.

Reaction score
Still have the same problem.

I have tried this and found the repply option is not available (grayed out).
Just to save time here are some of the things I have tried:
Tried in both admin. And user Account.
Increased usage to 20%. Still show 16 GB available.
Scanned with Antispyware, and antivirus (and running nod32 in background.)
As a last resort I have just done a clean install, for the second time.
Still have the same problem.
I also have ran Windows check disk, and a 3rd. party disk error checking program
From Seagate, running from dos, and found no problems.
Also here are the specs. of my laptop:
HP Pavilion DV9000, AMD Turion 64X2 1.61ghz, 2GB. ram , Nvidia Geforce G06150
Graphics.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi Viperbill - Welcome to w7forums

This is a strange problem. If system restore tells you the point was created successfull then there should be a restore point available. The fact that a restore point cannot be found suggest that one never was created to begin with. Either way your system restore is not functioning properly. Let me look into this further and I will report back.

This is not true. Clicking OK will apply any changes made to your settings. The only time I have needed to click apply is when changing tabs within settings. Changing tabs can reset the previous tab to defaults, losing your changes. Clicking apply before changing tabs will lock in your changes allowing you to continue to a different tab. Where as clicking OK will apply any changes and exit settings.
That's how I've always saved changes, even far back as Win 2K, with no problems. But if I've given bad advice, I apologize.

Reaction score
That's how I've always saved changes, even far back as Win 2K, with no problems. But if I've given bad advice, I apologize.
No, that was not bad advice. Maybe on the redundant side, applying the settings twice.

I'm looking for a way to reinstall Windows Restore functions. I'm not seeing anything in "Turning Windows features on or off". There is no option that I am aware of to uninstall and reinstall. I've never seen downloads to update Windows Restore functions. I see no other option to repair this feature to Windows other than reinstalling Windows or System Recovery media.

Viperbill have you disabled any services that may have rendered Windows Features inoperable?

Reaction score
No I have not disabled any services. I am now looking at device manager and have noticed that under other devices their are two entries called Base System Devices (there are no drivers installed for these). If I look under Properties for either of these I can not identify these devices, and can not find any drivers .

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found an article that may be relevant to your devices. However I don't see this being the problem to system restore not functioning if it is card reader drivers that you need for the devices.
After installing or re-installing Microsoft Windows you may encounter one, two, three, or more base system device under the Windows Device Manager. This occurs when the drivers for the card reader on your laptop or computer is not properly installed. To correct this issue either locate the drivers on any drivers or software CD that came with the computer or visit the computer manufacturers website and locate the drivers for your computer card reader
Read more here - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000921.htm

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Have you tried to run the windows System File Checker to verify all your files are correct?

You need to run a Command Prompt as Adminstrator and typ in: sfc /scannow

It will check and when finished will say either all files are valid or some were not and it's repaired them

Reaction score
Yes I have just ran a scan using the sfc command . Every thing checks ok. thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Ask a Question