Swap file question

Reaction score
It is no waste of space for me, I keep my 3 weeks of Weekly full backups on a 2.0 TB external drive and right now I have used 175 gig of space on that drive. I also keep 3 weeks worth of Full backup on another 1.5 Internal drive using less than 150 gig of space on that drive. MY OS is on a 1.5 TB with a 12 gig swap and I have used 57 gig on the OS Drive(which includes the swap file), it is not a waste if you have the space. I have close to 10 TB of storage space with 4 Internal drives and 6 External drives. For me space is a minor matter.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if your swap file is in it's own partition then you quite easily can choose to not back up that drive. Another good reason to just give it it's own drive.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Right now I should have more than 12GB virtual memory with my page file and readyboost set up, but only 8GB of that memory is readily usable until it gets used up. Even if I upgrade my installed RAM I think i'm fairly well set for memory on this machine lol. I don't think I would ever use more than around 8-10GB with my regular use.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I am but a mere pauper.

I know my place.

But when I s-t-r-e-t-c-h my 4Gb of Ram with Photoshop, that separate page file partition certainly comes in to its own.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am but a mere pauper.

I know my place.

But when I s-t-r-e-t-c-h my 4Gb of Ram with Photoshop, that separate page file partition certainly comes in to its own.
Things like photoshop, and definitely programs like After Effects are huge memory users in comparison to lots of other programs.

But I find the most RAM consumage comes from when I use AutoCAD. Depending on your project file size, i've seen a steady rate of lots of RAM being used up just for that process.

Ask a Question