Suggestions for a new wireless router

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Mine broke and I am looking to buy a new router. Wireless-N or Wireless-G? Any suggestions are welcome.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Wireless N most definitely! More bandwidth and faster speeds.

From Wikipedia:

IEEE 802.11n-2009 is an amendment to the IEEE 802.11-2007 wireless networking standard to improve network throughput over the two previous standards — 802.11a and 802.11g — with a significant increase in the maximum raw data rate from 54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/s with the use of four spatial streams at a channel width of 40 MHz.[1][2]

Since 2007, the Wi-Fi Alliance has been certifying interoperability of "draft-N" products based on what was draft 2.0 of IEEE 802.11n specification.[3] The Alliance has upgraded its suite of compatibility tests for some enhancements finalized after draft 2.0. Furthermore, it has affirmed that all draft-n certified products remain compatible with the products conforming to the final standards.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru, as always!!

Any suggestions on what brand? Linksys, Belkin, Netgear or else?

I am thinking of Cisco Linksys - E1000 Wireless-N Router for $59.99 at Best Buy.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Wireless N definitely - Much more secure.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer routers that have the external antennas. It makes it easier to adjust them for maximum signal to the computers. But this one does have two internal antennas so you should have no problems

It is a good router though, gets 4 out of 5 eggs at Newegg.

Where I now live has a Linksys router and it works great and has good signal strength. The new styling is a plus too.

Just make sure that your computer's wireless adapter has wireless N capability too, to get the best results of wireless N.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Wireless N is the way to go. Some have two antennas on them, some has none. As far as brand goes, Kalario, it's best to stick with a known brand. There are many "no name" brands, especially on the internet, for sale. Newegg had one in the ad that I got from them yesterday, they are a good source for accessories. Also, if your laptop does not have a built in "N" connection, most of the major brands have the kits where both the router and adapter is included. I have an adapter that I bought on eBay for $15, and "N" is super fast. Before I got my own cable internet, my neighbor allowed me to use her connection, it was a "N" router. I had only a two bar signal, and my download speeds were very fast, around 600KB/sec.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer routers that have the external antennas. It makes it easier to adjust them for maximum signal to the computers.
I felt the same way but I just setup a new wireless network using a Netgear 3500. It has internal antennas but I was impressed with the range.

Some have two antennas on them, some has none
Ummm, no. They all have antennas - a requirement for any radio system.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
That Netgear router is a really nice piece of hardware you've got there!

Excellent choice. One thing I have noticed about wireless routers is that once one goes above the $90-100 price range, the features and reliability are right on.

They've done a very good job of internal antenna placement on it so it's range is quite good.

I have always been partial to D-Link, but I had Netgear in the past and it was a solid router too.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Netgear is good, it's what I have, although Time Warner supplies mine. I was going to buy my own, but found it to be better for them to provide it, plus it was included in the package deal anyway. So I would have saved nothing, they don't adjust package pricing. The only thing I wonder about is why it gets so hot, after only using it three or four hours? The other one that I had was barely warm to the touch. It's hard to go wrong with Netgear, though.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Your router getting hot is NOT a good sign. The chipset is overheating and that's not good. That may be why your speed is being slow and throttled.

I'll bet you RR is charging you a rental fee though, double-check it.

Try your old router and see what happens.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I wished I had that old router back, but a month or so ago, Time Warner had to "swap" it. They went all around the neighborhood and distributed new ones. I'll give them a call in the morning about this. I checked before the agreement, they provide all three services as a package for one price, and all necessary equipment for operation is included in the price. If I had my own router, they wont deduct for it, I've already asked. At the time of purchase, I didn't want that digital converter box for my TV, I asked if they could keep it, and make my internet speed faster for the same price. They said no, I'd be breaking the "package" and it would actually cost more without the box than with it. Nibiru, we don't have the choice we want, when there's a promo. Too, Warner has a lock on the market here. There is AT&T, but their surcharges and taxes are unreal. Everything is "capped" with AT&T too, but not on paper. They have a fine line you cross two months straight, they say you're "abusing" the service, and wants to put you on another plan. You know what I mean.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I love this forum, everyone is helpful.

One question though, Hoe can I make sure that my computer's wireless adapter has wireless N capability? And if not, would it still work?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, it should not get "hot". Warm, yes, but not hot.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Hoe can I make sure that my computer's wireless adapter has wireless N capability? And if not, would it still work?
If it has two antennas more than likely it's an N adapter. You could open the desktop up and look at the card to see the make and model, then verify on the maker's website. You could also use SIW app to check it also.

If it's not an N adapter it will still work since most N router have B & G capabilities too. But then why waste the money on an N router if your adapter is not, unless you plan to upgrade the adapter sometime in the future.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
If it has two antennas more than likely it's an N adapter. You could open the desktop up and look at the card to see the make and model, then verify on the maker's website. You could also use SIW app to check it also.

If it's not an N adapter it will still work since most N router have B & G capabilities too. But then why waste the money on an N router if your adapter is not, unless you plan to upgrade the adapter sometime in the future.

Awesome, thanks so much.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hoe can I make sure that my computer's wireless adapter has wireless N capability?
Enter the brand and model number of the adapter into Google and see what it says.

Wireless N is backwards compatible - but unless your WAP is "dual-band", performance is likely to take a hit on mixed networks.

Let's make sure we all understand that technically, there is no such thing as a wireless router! "Wireless router" is a marketing term only! These devices are really 3-in-1 devices - 3 "independent" network "appliances" bundled together to save money by jamming all 3 devices onto 1 circuit board, into 1 case, and powered by 1 power supply. A wireless router really consists of:
1. Router - a network device to connect two networks - a router only has 1 input and 1 output.
2. WAP or Wireless Access Point - a network device that connects internally via Ethernet to the Router that allows wireless devices to connect to your network.
3. 4-Port Ethernet Switch - a network device designed to connect multiple devices to trusted side of the router.​
There are some 4-in-1 devices that also include a DSL or Cable modem too.

Having been a radio technician for much of my Air Force career, I avoid using wireless networks as much as possible!!! Why? Because radio waves go everywhere and though 11n is by far the most secure wireless networking protocol, it is still less secure than wired. This is because there is no way to prevent a badguy from seeing your network. I only use the wireless side for my laptop - but most of the time, I'm connected by Ethernet.

Securing a wireless network is much easier with these new 11n devices and older protocols and devices, but administrating a wireless network is still something you need to be thoroughly familiar with if you want to ensure your systems, and families are safe. My advice: if you don't absolutely need wireless, don't use it.

Reaction score
I'm using the Linksys WRT-160N to run my office network and Jive phones. No external antenna's but the coverage has been excellent and I like the styling.

This is a very informative thread.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I'm using the Linksys WRT-160N to run my office network and Jive phones. No external antenna's but the coverage has been excellent and I like the styling.

This is a very informative thread.
Thanks to the OP. :D

Anyways, one of the laptops has an: Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN adaptor. So this one looks good. I will have to check the other laptop when I get home.

Thanks to all, indeed this is a very informative thread. :D :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I recently installed a wireless network in my brother's home and after some research on speeds of various N routers I found the best in the roughly $75 range was a Belkin N+ Router Model #F5D8235-4. With some patience and luck I ended up finding one on eBay for $35 and it installed fairly painlessly; although I did talk to tech support because their router and his ISPs modem-router used the same address and so they had me change the address on the Belkin. I also used their online software to upgrade the Bios. It is now running with the latest encryption and supports his family's needs. Do some research on the model you are considering vs the Belkin and see if you might not get some better data rates. BTW, neither of the wifi cards linking to the router are Belkin but since they all follow the standards they work fine together.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
BTW, neither of the wifi cards linking to the router are Belkin but since they all follow the standards they work fine together.
With previous versions of 802.11 wireless protocols, I used to recommend users stick with the same brand for the WAP and the adapters to ensure compatibility/connection. But with 802.11n that [finally] does not appear to be necessary.

Ask a Question