Suddenly, no shortcut arrows

Reaction score
Some folks on this forum would like to lose their shortcut arrows, but I'd like them back! Lost them after a Windows Update patch on Tuesday. Tried all kinds of stuff, like checkdsk, system restores, resizing my icons and captions, turning off aero, no luck. :confused:

Then I finally loaded msconfig, and did a selective startup without "system services". Presto, they all came back!

So it's one of the system services that's probably causing the problem, but which one? :dontknow: Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It is badly named. It is not a "service" but a system (shell ) file. The shell can be altered through the registry.
For those who are not to too happy with manual editing of the registry, here is a .reg file which will do it for you.
Not for the OP, who wants them back! But in the zip is the reg to restore them again.

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I was going to mention the old "shell icon 29" trick but I see the zippy has it covered!!

Reaction score
Tried it, but...

Tried this but it doesn't alleviate the problem. Could there be something in te shell that reinstates the edit every time I start up?

Ask a Question