Start-up & User Profile Problem

Reaction score
Hi There
I'm a newby so go easy on me!! I REALLY need some help with this problem in a hurry as daughte returning to university tomorrow and needs to take laptop with her!!?
My daughters Toshiba laptop (satellite L500) running shop-installed windows 7 started (3 days ago) freezing on start-up (welcome screen just after user log-in).
Having read some of the help and other stuff (on another machine) have so far tried
1. turning off and taking battery/power off then restarting - no change
2. Started in "safe mode" and attmpted to restore to known working date - almost worked but got error message saying "anti-virus software needed to be disabled". (in this process also noted that there had been recent auto updates from Microsoft in previous couple of days so chose restore point date before updates)
After this attempt laptop now starts Windows allows normal user login but then loads a "temporary profile" which allows access to most programs and files but does not save any changes.
3. Have tried un-installing ant-virus (Bit Defender 2010) in safe mode but system prompt advises that windows uninstall sofware not available.
4. Re attempt at system restore (same date) results in same error message that anti-virus software may have prevented the full restore.
So current status is a laptop that will only start windows in "temporary Profile".

Can anyone help please!!?

Nick
Desperate Dad

Reaction score
Is there any actual data on the machine, like files or documents your daughter needs or was it brand new with nothing on it but the operating system?
Do you have a recovery CD that came with the computer?
If the computer is new with no important data on it and if you have a copy of the windows & recovery disk then I believe you can re-boot with that Cd in and do a repair.
However wait until more knowledgeable people pitch in with advice just to make sure I'm not leading you down the wrong path.

Reaction score
Hi Mychael

My daughter has a number of files from last years university work but says she has no "life threatening" stuff. obviously she would prefer not to lose the info if possible.
laptop did not come with recovery cd but does have partion on hard drive and "Toshiba recovery media" software which allows me to make a recovery disc which I am doing now. However I'm stil hoping there might be a guru out there that can help get windows going without resorting to an option which loses all the harddrive data!?
Thanks for your input though.
Cheers

Nick

Ask a Question