SSD tips

Reaction score
Hi all. I've ordered a system (w7, 64 bit) with a 500GB SSD as the primary drive. Are there any specific do's and don'ts I should be aware of? I read somewhere that running a defrag tool on an SSD is bad for it. Is this true or can it be used in the same manner as a spinner? I don't collect it for a week or so so any hints/ tips much appreciated. Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not at all, but waiting a few hours for a reply isn't very long ;).

There's nothing special you need to do with Windows 7 and modern SSDs - it'll all be ready to go! There's no need to run defrag and it will be disabled from running automatically, as it'll just shorten the life of your SSD if you were to run it, with no speed gain. You can use your new PC exactly the same as you would with a mechanical drive, but it'll be much faster :D.

Reaction score
Ta. Soz for impatience. Don't wanna bust my new rig :) v.helpful tho, answers the defrag q. Thanks

Reaction score
Just a point of inquiry. Is Ccleaner and antimalwarebytes still useful for an SSD? Guessing I'll be using them for the mechanical drive but are they OK for the SSD? Ta

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just a point of inquiry. Is Ccleaner and antimalwarebytes still useful for an SSD? Guessing I'll be using them for the mechanical drive but are they OK for the SSD? Ta
Yeah, CCleaner and MBAM are still useful for an SSD and won't do any harm, the only thing to avoid doing is forcing a manual defrag :).

Ask a Question