SQL Server error

Reaction score
I have a dell R710 server (Windows server 2008 Standard with MS SQL Server 2008) that had a hard drive fail.
I received a replacement hard drive and attempted to let the raid 0 array rebuild itself, but it kep failing.
I replaced both raid HDD's and restored from a Simplified Disaster Recovery backup from Backup Exec.
The server is back up and running (partially).
I am unable to get the MSSQLSERVER instance running because I get error messages about the master database being corrupt.

event id: 3417
Cannot recover the master database. SQL Server is unable to run. Restore master from a full backup, repair it, or rebuild it. For more information about how to rebuild the master database, see SQL Server Books Online.

I have tried to rebuild the database with (etup /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE /QUIET /INSTANCENAME=<instance name> /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=<accounts>) , but it fails.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I was able to get the SQL Server going again by restoring the MSDB database to a different SQL Server (with an alternate filename).
After it was restored to the alternate SQL Server, the Database was copied over to the problem SQL Server and renamed it to the MSDB.

Ask a Question