source Monitor has one of my Hds always at 100% active

Reaction score
I keep putting the drive offline because im wary of having it always active. Also when I put the drive back online the activity is at 0 but eventually goes back to 100% and I can hear the drive activity. Cpu usage is very low i have a i-7 2600K. Indexing is already off. In the Resource Manager next to the files being accesed most of them under image say SYSTEM and PID 4 if that means anything. Would love some feedback on what I can try to do to resolve this. Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You may be able to use Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645) to view the drive activity in more detail. I've only used the older FileMon app (IIRC), but this should do the same thing. It should show all of the file access on that drive - but you'll need to set up some filtering options.

If you can glean any information from it, post a screenshot back here :)

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Well, PID 4 usually is the system process... is this a new install of Windows 7?

In addition recommending to the usual anti-spyware and anti-virus scans to make sure it's not due to anything of that nature, you can use http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645 to see what is reading/writing to your hard drive. Even a normal system will quickly create a mountain of data to wade through, but ya should be able to see what programs are involved.

Edit: Haha Ian, by five minutes!

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
no its not a new install and heres a screenshot of the process Monitor. All the ones that say Avastsvc.exe are the ones that are making the HD at 100%. I turned off the shields on avast and it didnt change anything. Also when checking on the program it doesnt appear to be scanning anything.

Attachments

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
That's only a brief snapshot of a few seconds. You need to scroll down the list and see what names are coming up the most... based purely on your screenshot my first guess would be avast. You might try uninstalling it and seeing if that has any effect, if not you can always reinstall it.

Ask a Question