Sound level hell

Reaction score
OK...got my Win 7 64 bit system up and running. I went and hooked up the USB mixer (Yamaha MW12) we use for our podcast and ran into some weird quirks. With out changing ANY of the setting on our mixer I noticed our mic levels we MUCH higher than they were on the older system.

I am still using the exact same programs to record and edit the (Audacity and Soundforge Audio Studio) and as far as I can tell the settings within those programs are teh same as well, so I'm stymied as to what the heck is going on.

I'm now getting a higher level of background noise (the type when you reall crank up the volume during a silent level of recording) hiss than I was before, it makes our audio sound like crap, and any noise removal tool I use does indeed remove the his, but degrades the quality of the remain audio too much.

I would like to get back to where I was before moving from XP to 7. Pretty sure it isn't anything in our hardware or teh software we using causing it, as it is teh exact same setup we have always had, so that narrows it down to Windows 7. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Brad

Ask a Question