Sleep Function Doesn't Work

Reaction score
Basically what happens is that if i "sleep" my computer, it resets the BIOS clock and the default boot device. This makes my computer turn on again, and demand a propper boot device. This has just started to be a problem, and i have not installed any new programs or done anything with the BIOS. Any insight?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
First guess. Bios chip is ruined - most unlikely. Second guess. Bios Battery needs replacing. That is a cheap and easy solution.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah I would suspect your battery is dead. Sleep function should have nothing to do with the BIOS but it could tell the mobo to power down and without the battery to keep it alive your BIOS gets lost.

Reaction score
About a month ago, i replaced my CMOS battery with another one from my motherboard box (brand new battery) which did nothing.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would at least take the battery out an put it on a voltmeter to see if it is still giving the proper voltage and then reseat it.

You could see if there is a BIOS update for your computer. There may be some glitch in it and rewriting the EPROM might help.

Otherwise if Dave's hunch is correct then you are talking about a replacement of the chip or a new mobo.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sound to me as if you have some capacitors that have gone bad on you. Closely examine your motherboard to see if any have bulging tops or are leaking electrolytic fluid from them.

From BadCaps.net:
Here are some functionality symptoms and issues your system might display if your capacitors are failing. Please note that these symptoms can occur even if your capacitors are not showing the physical signs demonstrated above. This is a rare occurrence, but it does happen. Most of the time, there will be physical signs of failure.

System Faults:
Motherboard fails to POST.
Memory Test Fails.
System randomly and/or constantly reboots itself.
Fails to fully boot (or even install) Operating System.
System randomly and frequently freezes.
Random & frequent 'Blue Screens of Death'
BSoD or hard freeze under heavy drive activity (Either RAID, SCSI, or standard ATA)
CPU temps abnormally higher than usual under typical or less load.
*CPU VCORE & other system voltages are erratic or far out of tolerances.
Resetting the system after a freeze and the system will not repost.
(You have to completely power down then power back up.)

*CPU VCORE & System voltage issues can also be associated with a faulty power supply. Before you decide your caps are bad, ALWAYS try a known good and high quality power supply.

Check your mobo to see if any of the capacitors may be leaking or bulged.

Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru2012 I will check that.

~EDIT: None of them look like that. Now, testing CMOS battery with voltmeter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
On the voltmeter, it said it has 3.08V. Is this good?
On the battery it didn't say if it was a 3V or anything.

Reaction score
Was it labeled as CR2032?

Thats the most common CMOS battery. The CR2032 is a 3V battery and 3.08 is still a good voltage for it.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It is difficult to pinpoint a particuar portion of the mothertboard, which could cause such an error. I would be inclined to doubt a motherboard problem, as it would cause much greater faults in your running OS. (Does it runs OK?)

The boot change is the significant factor. This happens, as you know, before the computer has even begun to look at the software. There are so many possibilities!
But, to which boot device is it defaulting? - Floppy? One thought is that your power supply is beginning to give problems and, in its initial surge, is not giving enough current to the HD to boot up. Once you have changed the boot sequence back again, the power supply has booted several of the motherboard functions and there is less demand on it. Do you have any means of checking the output put from the supply?

I would also go in to the bios and reset everything to the default. This would include any overclocking of the CPU - often the cause of this problem.

Reaction score
My OS runs fine, and it tries to default to the cd rom to boot. How would i test the output from the power supply? I have already reset everything to default.

Ask a Question