Shutdown / Restart Problems - Build 7100~7600

Reaction score
With every build i´ve tried i´m having trouble shuting down / rebooting my system.

Now i´m at build 7600 (but later i was using 7100 official). In all cases the X64 version.

When i click restar or shutdown i see the screen "Windows is retarting" and everything but it get´s stuck there and nothing happens actually.
Sometimes it does reboot or shutdown, bur rarely. Like in 10 tries 1 or 2 works.

My system specs are:

-Asus P6T Deluxe V2
-Intel Core i7 920
-3x2GB OCZ DDR3 1600 Cas 7
-eVGA Geforce 8800GT Supercloked 512mb
-Creative Audigy 2 ZS
-2x250GB Seagate 7200.9 Raid 0 (system)
-1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 / 320GB External e-SATA (backup)
-Pioneer DVR-216D Sata Burner

What can be causing this??

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you get this after a clean install to 7600 (or did you force upgrade from 7100 to 7600?).

Also, is there any hard drive activity when your shutdown pauses and does anything appear in event viewer?

Reaction score
Yes. Both versions i did a clean install after a format.

I can´t see the event viewer (i didn´t try actually) because it closes all windows and everything then displays the final screen "Windows is shutting down".

Then in this final screen the animated icon next to the "Windows is shutting down" is still working, meaning the system has not hang, but nothing happens. And the hd activity LED are not flashing.

I suspect the problem may have something to do with the Marvell 88SE6121 sata/pata controller driver wich is a beta version, but i need to install it in order to use the e-SATA of the motherboard.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try loading the event viewer, as it doesn't have to be open at the time you shut down :) Just search for "event" on the start menu and a link to it will appear.

It lots all your past critial events and it might give us more information to help diagnose the problem.

Are you able to temporarily disable the SATA controller in device manager and then see if it shuts down ok (I'm assuming it's not your primary one that you boot from?).

Reaction score
Can you try loading the event viewer, as it doesn't have to be open at the time you shut down :) Just search for "event" on the start menu and a link to it will appear.

It lots all your past critial events and it might give us more information to help diagnose the problem.

Are you able to temporarily disable the SATA controller in device manager and then see if it shuts down ok (I'm assuming it's not your primary one that you boot from?).
Lol... Yeah right... My mistake, i confused the task manager with the event viewer when i read this in the morning (duh).

I´ll look at the event viewer when i get home and disable the controler (wich is not the main controller where i boot from, so no problem) and try to reboot/shutdown.

Thanks for the tips.

Reaction score
Nope... I´ve disabled it and the first 2 tries it reboot/"shutdowned" ok, but in the third try i´ve got stuck again...

I´ve looked at the event viewer and didn´t find any relevant error in the Application events.

Reaction score
With every build i´ve tried i´m having trouble shuting down / rebooting my system.

-Asus P6T Deluxe V2
THIS thread on another board mentions that it might be Asus motherboards in general causing this issue. Not many solutions to speak of, just THIS one, mainly Post #9 of that thread.

Maybe check out Asus for some new mobo drivers.

EDIT: Ian has an article about getting Asus drivers. LINK HERE

Last edited:

Ask a Question