SOLVED "Shredding" free disc space

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
On my laptop, I have a program installed called "File Shredder", there's not a Windows 7 compatible version. But from another OS, you can check to shred free space on all partitions. It gives you the option to "shred" from one, three, seven and thirty five times. What does this accomplish, and is it bad on the hard drive? Right now, it's "flushing disc buffers". This is only an option of the product, it's primary use is to shred files beyond recognition.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
CCleaner has options to do the clean or shred the free space on the hard drives and partitions with the different options of wipe-over.

What free space wipe or shred does is to clean the entire free space of the hard drive and / or partition to completely eliminate any trace(s) of deleted files, folders, etc.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
On my desktop, I don't delete every file in such a manner, but I do things with my laptop that I wouldn't do on my desktop, anyway. I try new things, run multible programs at once for long periods of time, trying to make it crash. I know that Nibiru doesn't like Dell products, but this one has been through sheer hell and still runs fine. Better yet, it's still under warranty. But I was wondering about the claims of this program, because I've already shredded the free space four times, using the Guttman method, yet I'm still able to find deleted files on it. I suppose nothing will buff everything from a drive totally.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I've already shredded the free space four times, using the Guttman method, yet I'm still able to find deleted files on it. I suppose nothing will buff everything from a drive totally.
That is your prerogative, but it is not necessary as c_c stated. At best the 3 wipe D.O.D method is more than sufficient to completely eliminate traces of old files, folders, etc. Unless you're completely paranoid about the N.S.A. coming to take all your drives and use electron microscopes to analyse the platters, then the Guttman method will do the trick.

I believe the point that c_c and myself are trying to make is that what you are doing is overkill to say the least! In addition, you're stressing your hard drives and this will make them wear out sooner.

From Wikipedia:
The Gutmann method is an algorithm for securely erasing the contents of computer hard drives, such as files. Devised by Peter Gutmann and Colin Plumb, it does so by writing a series of 35 patterns over the region to be erased.

The selection of patterns assumes that the user doesn't know the encoding mechanism used by the drive, and so includes patterns designed specifically for three different types of drives.

A user who knows which type of encoding the drive uses can choose only those patterns intended for their drive. A drive with a different encoding mechanism would need different patterns.

Most of the patterns in the Gutmann method were designed for older MFM/RLL encoded disks.

Relatively modern drives no longer use the older encoding techniques, making many of the patterns specified by Gutmann superfluous.[1]
The bold is my emphasis to point out what I have been stating.

Catilley - I appreciate your concern for security and such, but what you're doing is not necessary by any stretch of the need to "securely delete" files, folder, etc.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Niburu!
I too was wondering what that feature did when I was exploring CCleaner for the first time...

Cheers,
Fire Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks Niburu!
I too was wondering what that feature did when I was exploring CCleaner for the first time...

Cheers,
Fire Cat
It's a good feature, but when running it, you do have to watch it, especially when it reaches 85% or so. After that, it will begin to delete your restore points. So if you do use the function, and it runs to 100%, all of your restore points are gone. I know this firsthand. Sometimes, when you're approaching 100%, your disc warning light will flicker, and you'll get a warning that your disc is full. So for safety's sake, stop it around 85%.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks cat!
Yep, I did notice that my HD was suddenly filling up, with 52% = 53 GB ( I have 100GB free space). That freeked me out a bit, so I stopped it there.
Anyway, that problem I had with windows not booting deleted all my system restore points, so nothing would have happened anyway.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't know why the program doesn't stop on it's on, but the same happened to you that it did to me. CCleaner is normally a very safe program to use, but some of these optional functions (like the disc wiper & registry cleaner), you have to watch it. And if you do use their registry cleaner, it offers you the chance to backup first. It's wise to do so, it will store the file in your documents (or whatever place you choose). If you happen to need it, you can open the file and select "Merge", and it will be restored to it's original place(s).

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The program is not filling up space, it's just rewriting the free space. Your free space doesn't change; it's just cleaned that all.

What you're seeing is a progress meter or bar, that's all.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No, I was talking about your low disc space warning light, and a pop up notice on my laptop (a Windows warning), not the progress bar of the program. And all of your restore points are gone. It actually keeps running, and compresses your files to the point of you having more free space than before. I don't know why this happens, only that it does.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
The program is not filling up space, it's just rewriting the free space. Your free space doesn't change; it's just cleaned that all.

What you're seeing is a progress meter or bar, that's all.
Maybe, but it still concerns me to see a 50GB file inside the root of my HDD.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
There are many HDD free space cleaners (have a look Here) and many do about the same job but my favourite total drive cleaner / eraser (and that includes erasing the Operating System) is DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) that will totally erase everything includinginfections.

Darik's Boot and Nuke > http://www.dban.org/

Warning DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) will erase everything and anything on its target Hard Drive.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Maybe, but it still concerns me to see a 50GB file inside the root of my HDD.
That has nothing to do with the file wiping program. Did you turn on the "View Hidden Files & Folders" feature to see what that 50GB file is?

You should be able to just delete it.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh yeh?

That has nothing to do with the file wiping program. Did you turn on the "View Hidden Files & Folders" feature to see what that 50GB file is?

You should be able to just delete it.
Nothing to do with the wiping program? It appeard when I started wipping free space using CCleaner, and increased in size as the process advanced. Also, it disapeard (deleted) automatically when I stopped CCleaner. So yes, I do think it has something to do with the wipping process.
Also, yes I do have hidden files set to be viewed. Though, how come I can't see ALL hidden files, like hiberfil.sys, while I could in vista?

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Fire Cat - hiberfil.sys is just system files for use in hibernation mode, that's all. I see it in PerfectDisk defrag program. I turn off hiberation because I have no use for it in a desktop setup, plus it wastes hard drive space.

It disappears when the CCleaner is done, that's all. Don't get so freaked out by a program doing it's job.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks.

Though, it is unusual for a software to fill up your hard drive in a few seconds.
Btw, i used hiberfil.sys, only as an example of a hidden file. The thing that is annoying me about that, is that I could see ALL hidden files in Vista, but now I can't in 7.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Have you enable the see hidden files option in explorer?

Open Explorer
If you don't see the Menu Bar press the Alt Key for a temporary view of the Menu Bar
Look under tools and then select folder options.
From the view tab there is options to enable or disable, show hidden files and folders.

Ask a Question