Share folder problems with windows 7 and windows xp

Reaction score
Hello,

At past, I had two machines running on windows xp with share folders connected with a router 'BRL-04UR'. Recently, one of the os has been changed to windows 7 and another remains windows xp.

Howerver, when I want to setup the share folder, I find problems. At windows 7 machine, it can see windows xp machine (named LAI) at network. However, when I double-click the icon, Windows cannot access '\\LAI', and after pressing 'diagnosis', it said ' DNS server has no response'.

At another side, windows xp machine can also see windows 7 machine (named User-pc). However, when I double-clicked the icon, it also said that 'cannot access \\User-pc, you may have no premission to access ....'.

I have followed the instruction stated here 'http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/'. However, I still cannot get the right thing. I am sure that they are both under 'WORKGROUP' and I have turned off password protected sharing in windows 7 machine.

Please help~~

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
\\LAI is, I believe, the user name in a particular Chinese download of Windows 7.??

I think you may find that the easiest way is to change the workgroup in both machines and then, if still no connection, follow the link instructions again.

Ask a Question