"Setup can't continue. Restart the computer..."

jbc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 but am having problems half way through the setup.

Half way through the install I get the following message "Setup can't continue. Restart the computer and restart Setup. When prompted, try getting the latest updates."

I'm trying to install on a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC (DV6733tx) with Vista service pack 1 installed and 4GB of memory. From the compatibility tests that I have run there shouldn't be any problems.

My partner has also installed from the same disk and it installed properly so we know it's not the disk.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? I've tried on three separate occasions now and while each time it's progressed a little further, I still end up with the above error message.

Cheers
jbc

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is this a fresh install you are doing? It seems strange that it gets a little further each time - have you wiped the disk between installs?

jbc

Reaction score
It's a upgrade from service pack 1, so not a fresh install. I'm don't know if I'm game to go as far as a fresh install considering the problems I had when I did that with Vista a few years back.

Reaction score
Hi Jbc,

Out of curiousity, are you trying to upgrade Windows 7 from within Vista? or booting from the DVD? I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Beta from within(inplace upgrade) Vista and the installation went fine. (surprisingly lol). I left the laptop connected to the internet and at the beginning of the install I clicked "Get recommended updates" it then installed around 850 KB of info then rebooted and all was fine. just a idea :)

here is a link that may help; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd446674.aspx

ps. clean install is the best way to go.... Windows Easy Transfer makes it easy to transfer user settings, docs, etc... quick to
but you will have to reinstall programs tho :-(

hope this helps...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had the same problem, all I did was pull out the internet cable prior to the next restart and all was good! Then when up and running, reconnect the cable.

Reaction score
Your Vista is messed up

I had the same problem trying to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. I contacted Microsoft Support who helped me through it. They ran a special process that updated my Vista OS to correct some problems using a 'Microsoft Update Standalone Package'. Once that run completed, my Upgrade to Windows 7 ran correctly. All the other suggestions on the internet as to how to correct this problem did not help.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Gary Konkler, Welcome to the forum! That was a great piece of information you shared with us. Hopefully, it will help someone else that's having unexplained problems upgrading. Glad to hear you got you system going. Should you need any further help, come back.

Ask a Question