set up LAN network

Reaction score
I need to set up a LAN network...but....I don't need the internet. How do I accomplish this task? What type of hardware if any will I need?

I have a home network all ready using a wireless router that works perfectly. Just need info on procedures with out the internet connection...thanks.

Reaction score
Are you asking about a second network for the same group of computers?

If so you would need a second networking card (wired or wireless) in each PC.

Basically you would need to duplicate the network you all ready have. However you wouldn't need the router function, a simple switch would work especially if you was setting it up as a wired network. A router would still work, just because you have a WAN port doesn't mean you have to use it.

Reaction score
Oh no...this would be a completely separate network at a completely different location.

Reaction score
Thanks Nib's....it's just 2 office computers.....connecting by RJ45 cables. Setting up a normal network with that tutorial involves a router/switch which the office doesn't have. What I've read, this type of connection is referred to as an Ahoc connection.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The easiest way to connect just two computers to each other but to nothing else, is to buy a crossover cable. It looks the same as any normal network cable; the difference is inside, two wires are crossed so that they work as out to in and in to out, so I suggest labeling it before putting it away if this is just temporary to transfer some files. You still have to buy something but this cable should be cheaper than a switch.

Microsoft explains networking it HERE.

* OR *

If they are connected to the same router as all the other computers and you just want to limit their internet connectivity, it can be done via the group policy editor. I haven't read through it all but I believe this Microsoft Technet can help. Of course the userids set up on those computers cannot be Admins or they could simply change the policy and reboot to start the Internet Connection Services.

Last edited:

Ask a Question