SOLVED Serious Windows Update error

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a severe problem with Windows Update at the moment. I did a search on the forums for this error and found nothing, so I'm starting a thread here.

Windows Update gives me the error code 8007370D. I do believe I've tried just about everything I can to fix it, with no appreciable success. To run down the list:

Windows Update Troubleshooting within the OS
Microsoft FixIt
Installing multiple versions of the hotfix (via the Knowledge Base article, KB947821)
Created a system repair disc and ran that
Backed up my computer and then clean installed Win7

After the clean install (earlier today) I restored from the Windows created image of my SSD; I guess I should have figured that would put the error back in place.

I am truly at my wits end. There are several items within the device manager that need driver updates, and with this not working I suspect I'll be forced to go after them manually.

Some further info:

I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64, via an anytime upgrade (on a side note, the key they gave me upon that upgrade from Home Premium somehow isn't valid... imagine that)

Thanks in advance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
At a command prompt run:
sfc /scannow

you might also install and run ccleaner to clean free space and also to clean the registry. That might help.

and if you ever get the W7 ISO downloaded, go to the installation screen and run start-up repair.

The fact is, getting driver updates from Windows Update is not as good as getting them from the manufacturer. Windows Update does not update drivers nearly as often as they are actually released. And what can be very bad is when they suggest an incorrect driver and it messes up your system.

Reaction score
hello:
pardon to enter
first sfc /scannow, is not good for anything, alone you find out that it cannot repair files, and you will have to appeal to the log that takes place
second ccleaner already neither serves
my recommendations for own experience in hundreds of notebook pc and tune me he/she allows to tell you that
use instead of cclean the jet clean, the strong competitor of the previous one is a lot but I complete. -
You can also use Speedypc pro this you will be surprised it when using it, it proves and you count me
greetings
I sit down my not well English on

Non problem
alone he/she wanted to help, I don't care people of little mentality good-bye

Aparte esto te lo digo en mi idioma soy ingeniero en sistemas desde el tiempo de las gigantes IBM , fui uno de los creadores de las msx y de comodore en su fabricación que entiendes vos, por los sistemas operativos que aquel entonces?hoy tengo 66 años no creo que tengas mas experiencia que yo.-
sinceramente pecaste de pusilánime, si no sabes este idioma traducirlo con algún traductor free ( NO PAGO), TENES MUCHO QUE APRENDER PERO ASÍ SOLO RETARDAS TU TIEMPO Y YO PIERDO EL MIO NO SIRVEN GENTE DE POCA O NADA MENTALIDAD Y MUCHO MENOS CERRADA Y ESTRUCTURADA QUE DIOS TE BENDIGA

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
sfc, system file checker, compares the main OS files against a backup copy to see if they are damaged and if so replaces them with the back-up; so I cannot be sure it will help with the current problem but it cannot hurt.

As for jetclean, I've never heard of it, but ccleaner, I have years experience using.

I will say that I detest products that want you to download them for a "free" trial but say nothing about the actual cost unless you dig deep into their website or install the software. With digging I see jetclean has a free version but they hope to sell the pro version, ccleaner is fully function for free, with just a link in case you want to donate. And the speedypc pro is even worse; they won't even tell you a price unless you register.

So fonti, please do not come to w7forums and make posts for paid software; we may suspect you are simply spamming and ban you.

Reaction score
Well, that's interesting.

TrainableMan, I first ran the sfc (as an administrator) and came up with this:

"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

I installed CCleaner, it seems to work nicely. I may purchase the pro version when I have a little cash. It did not, however, fix my problem with Win Update.

I did get the .iso downloaded and burned to a disk. Running the WinRE from the disk didn't do it either. As I mentioned in the initial post, a clean install failed to fix it (I suspect) only because I restored from a system img that contained the problem. I really don't want to have to clean install and not restore, thereby starting from scratch, but if I get to a point where that's the only thing left to do, so be it.

Nevertheless, I appreciate all the help so far, and any more advice that comes my way.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The whole sfc not even running concerns me and I'm worried your system is corrupted. Did you try running "system repair" from the W7 DVD?

If that doesn't work then it's a good possibility your registry is messed up to a point where you may have to do a real reinstall. To help with a complete reinstall I recommend using the Windows Easy Transfer utility (built in to W7) to back up your userid settings and data to an external hard drive. It's not an image restore so your registry will be nice and fresh. Unfortunately you will then have to reinstall all your programs, but at least then you can recover your user settings and data.

Reaction score
Well, I guess my registry's hosed then. I'll have to find a HDD somewhere (not easy when there's no extra money in the budget at the moment). Thanks though, at least I have an idea what's going on.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You have a backup image; where is that stored if not on another hard drive?

Reaction score
I created an internal partition on my 2 TB secondary drive. I actually just got done reinstalling and reupgrading Windows. I used the easy transfer utility to store the small amount of data it helps with, I'll be doing that part next.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Small amount of data? Windows Easy Transfer will do all of your data but if you do not store your files in the Windows default location of My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, and Downloads then you have to click the advanced button to add your non-standard data folders.

Reaction score
I was being facetious. :p

Everything works great after the re install. Thanks for all the help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Get all your programs reinstalled and then that is perfect time to take your backup image.

Glad it's working.

Ask a Question