SOLVED 'Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder'; file missing

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been using Windows 7's built-in file compression utility to compress a collection of files to send over the internet. Oddly enough, after I select the files I want to zip, the file that I right-click on never appears in the new compressed folder.

My question is: how can I prevent this one file from being lost when compressing?

Details: All the workstations in our office use Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1, and it turns out some have this issue while others do not. This issue only occurs on mapped network drives and not local drives. Between the issue and non-issue workstations, I've compared the zipfldr.dll file and found no differences. I also compared the entries in regedit (after searching for zipfold) and found no differences. Instead of right-clicking, Select All has produced the same results--the missing file is just whatever is at the top of the list. Most recently, I tried disabling the offline file service to no effect.

I realize that there are some great free compression alternatives out there, but I'd appreciate it if we could try to find a solution for this specific problem. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are viewing the folder through windows explorer libraries I have noticed that files often don't appear unless I force a View - Refresh.

Or do you mean the zip file really is not created at all? If you are in a protected folder, for example C:\windows\minidump and you attempt to right-click > zip to it will not actually happen because you are not authorized to create a file in a protected folder; instead you must first copy the files to an unprotected folder and then zip them there.

Reaction score
I'll have to try that!

The zip file is successfully created, and when I check the properties of the files I'm zipping the permissions say I have full control.

One of my bosses actually just decided we're going to use 7-Zip instead, so I'll no longer be needing any help solving this. Thanks TrainableMan.

Ask a Question