Saving Paint colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How do you save custom paint colors in paint, everytime I make one and close
the program it did not save my custom color.

Reaction score
Ok maybe this can't be done, does anybody know where the default color file for paint is located?. Maybe I could modify one for my needs.
Thanks Z

Reaction score
Paint Colors

Zplugger-

I'm assuming when you are saying "Paint" you are in fact referring to the Windows Paint program that comes pre-installed with Win 7. Even if not , the procedure is essentially the same, its just a matter of finding the area to go to to edit colors.

That being the case, to get to the color pallet you run the paint program , then look for a selection for "Edit(or choose) colors". Click that.

After selection a "Color Palette" will open showing you the basic colors and a type of "color wheel".

What you may want to do is select from the basic colors one that is closest to the color to want to make. Then use the color wheel to fine tune it to the color you want. OR alternatively if you know the "hex code" of the color you want you can enter that as well.

Once that is done click the button "Add to custom colors"(or to that effect). This will add it to you Custom color palette which can they be accessed the same as editing colors or i THINK you can insert it in the palette at the top of the main paint window.( the last part, adding to color palette on main Paint window, I would not personally know of due to the fact that if i do a custom color I leave in in the edit colors area).

Hope that helps and isn't too terribly confusing.
-LoneWolf

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe Zplugger is asking if there is a way to save created colours permanently.
The method outlined saves them for the work on hand, but theye are lost on reopening Paint.
I ecperienced this problem on an earlier version, and never did find a way to save them.

Reaction score
I'm thinking every time you start a new project the default color palette is chosen.

I've had similar issues before and found that I needed a previously created image with the desired color palette. I believe if I needed a specific color palette each time, I would create an image with the desired color palette for a starting image.

Reaction score
Dave~

well thats a TOTAL duhh!!! on my part LOL ..
i mis construed what he was asking .

Not only that but i don't usually use Paint( windows Version) I USUALLY use either Paint.Net , Photo Shop, or (on occasion) Paint Shop Pro or Irfan View. It all depends on what exactly I want to do with the picture or other job at hand. And how quickly I want or need to get the job done. Or quality that is wanted.

And both you and Clifford are correct when you mention that the colors reset upon each restart on the program .. even IF you save your work before exiting.

So I will concede I messed up the reading of the question/request, my apologies :)
LoneWolf

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
MS Paint is extremely basic and I see no option for storing your pallet. Many paint programs are available that do allow you to save and load color pallets such as the one I use, Paint Shop Pro.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Not only that but i don't usually use Paint( windows Version) I USUALLY use either Paint.Net "

Yes. I do not have any great requirements for graphics programs. It has always been a mystery to me how Paint.net gets away with writing such a comprehensive program (WITH updates!) and not even charging for it.

Reaction score
Dave-

I agree.. it is a great little program .. especially if you need to do just a "quick fix job" .

And i wondered the same thing ( and still do) how they can make and distribute the program along with the updates for free..

While googleing and looking on Wiki .. i happened to come across THIS INTERVIEW about Paint.net on Betanews. It ( the interview) was done in 2006. Kinda interesting.

-LoneWolf

Reaction score
Here how you do it.

Once you have the color you want, go to "Edit Colors" and click on "Add to Custom Colors"
It should be there next time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question