Samsung magic tune software killed my computer!

Reaction score
I'm on win 7.

I just got a new Samsung monitor. E2320. I tried to install the magic tune software so I don't have to use the irritating buttons on the monitor itself. I first tried to install the Win 7 64 bit version from the Samsung website. I rebooted, started the program, and it told me 'magic tune is not compatible with your system'.
I read that 32 bit would solve this problem. So I uninstalled the 64 bit version (as per instructions), and was prompted to 'restart', which I did. On bootup, it froze. I rebooted, then got the error message:

Windows failed to start. Two options to choose from:

repair
boot as normal

I tried repair. It started, then froze again.
I rebooted and tried 'boot as normal'. Froze again.

...I've also tried booting into safe mode. It loads some files, and has now been frozen on 'please wait' for ten minutes. I can't believe this. None of the safe mode options work.

...I found my win7 recovery disc, which I burned to cd when I got the computer 8 months ago. I went into the bios and got the recovery disc to boot. The disc spins up, it loads files for a couple minutes, then started the screen with 'microsoft' on the bottom and the 'green progress bar'. The bar moved for a half minute than froze again. I just left it.

...It finally started moving again after five minutes and I got to a new screen. Its now says 'select your operating system, If it's not listed, select 'load drivers'. No operating system is listed.

The mouse is taking forever to respond to even choose an option.

...it finally got to the 'repair options' page, and seems to be checking files now, but incredibly slow, as if the disc access is hampered.

I'm reading reports of win 7 recovery taking ten hours or longer. This is insane. If it's checking every file on my SSD drive and my 700 gig drive, it will take forever. What if it's still checking for errors tomorrow morning? What do I do?

Am I completely screwed?

I was really looking forward to trying out my new monitor today and the damn Samsung magic tune software has completely fried my system.

I can't even reinstall windows 7 as I never got a disc with the system! It was preinstalled. I had to burn my own recovery disc. It's like 1995 all over again.

How long should I let it keep checking files? All weekend? Why does it take so long?

Reaction score
Hi spatzi - Welcome to w7forums

Try pressing the F8 key while booting, This will bring up additional boot options. There should be an option "Boot last known good configuration". Try that option and see if you can get back into Windows. If that option fails, try to boot into "Safe Mode".

64-Bit drivers are needed to operate on a 64-Bit OS.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I used to have a Samsung 22" monitor... DON'T USE THAT CRAPPY SOFTWARE! PERIOD!

Especially if you have your monitor connected by a DVI cable, you don't need that crap. If your video card is a Radeon you can use the Catalyst Control Center to do all the tweaking and control you need. I can't remember what Nvidia's control center is called but it will do the same thing allowing you to control the monitor from there.

Looks like you'll have to do a fresh complete install of the 64-bit operating system.

There is no need to revert to a 32-bit OS when your hardware is capable of running a 64-bit OS.

Sorry to hear what happened, I know it's very frustrating because it happened to me also only I had an Acronis True Image Home backup to restore the system in just a few minutes... about 10 minutes or so.

Ask a Question