Safe Mode works but Normal Start simply hangs then shuts down

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit on my computer and for some reason I can start and use it in Safe Mode (just that one, no Networking or Command Prompt) but if I try to start it normally it goes to the Starting Windows splash screen, then goes black and shuts itself down. I don't have the product key, a repair disk or anything else. When I had my mother board replaced in 2013 the repair man put Windows 7 on the computer but gave me nothing in the way of documentation for it or anything else. He is now out of business and moved to another state so I can't ask him either. I have tried using the links on here to download a system repair but all the links do is take me to some weird Home Use page that wants my work email (this is a home computer and there is no work email) and won't let me go anywhere else without one. Is there anyone who can help me get my computer to work? I'm doing this on a borrowed laptop with a very small screen! I'm not real computer literate but will do my best to follow any instructions. Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Yes, it will. I tried the Microsoft thing for that Security Patch that was creating problems but it still won't start in Normal Mode. I think I forgot to mention that when this first started it told me I needed to do a System Restore to an earlier date and I did that. It said the System Restore worked but apparently it didn't.

Reaction score
In safemode with network enabled....open a cmd prompt with admin rights. Then type this in with out the quotes "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" and press enter.

Reaction score
Did as you suggested. Got the following result:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7601.17514

Error: 87

The restorehealth option is not recognized in this context.
For more information, refer to the help.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\dism.log

I tried to upload the log for you but all I get is an error message that the file doesn't have an allowable extension. If you can tell me how to upload the log file I will. I can't find a list of what the allowable extensions are.

Last edited:

Ask a Question