Safe Mode with Networking - no internet

Reaction score
I am troubleshooting a BSOD in Windows 7 and may come back later with more questions, but for now, I need internet in Safe Mode. I choose Safe Mode with Networking and my wireless hooks up to the router with an excellent signal, but when I go to IE it says it's not connected and the troubleshooter to diagnose doesn't help.

Is there something I need to turn on or off in MSConfig to get the computer to see the signal is there?

Thanks so much.

Sandy

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am troubleshooting a BSOD in Windows 7 and may come back later with more questions, but for now, I need internet in Safe Mode. I choose Safe Mode with Networking and my wireless hooks up to the router with an excellent signal, but when I go to IE it says it's not connected and the troubleshooter to diagnose doesn't help.

Is there something I need to turn on or off in MSConfig to get the computer to see the signal is there?

Thanks so much.

Sandy
Nothing in msconfig to help here. Have you tried another browser like Firefox? If you can connect to the router it may be malware (firewall blocking it) or other things.

Reaction score
Would the firewalls load in Safe Mode? I have CA Internet Security set to not load on startup and disabled in services. How would I download Firefox if I can't get to the internet. If I boot in normal mode I blue screen once windows is loaded. I know it's a tcpip issue (based on research and reading my dump file) and found a link for a "tcpip fix" that I was going to try, but can't get to the internet. This all started when I loaded Itunes latest version for my Ipad. GRRRRR

Reaction score
BSOD / Windows 7 64-bit / TCPIP cause

I have an HP Pavilion DV4 2045dx, Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition. Has not been altered since setup other than to add Skype and haven't used it much. Bought an Ipad and downloaded Itunes for Windows 7 64-bit. Synced up and backup up fine the first time only, then started locking up and would not work after that. Soon after I got the dreaded BSOD on bootup. Windows loads all the way to the desktop loading and then blue screens. Following internet research I reviewed my dump file and the TCPIP seems to be the cause. I don't really know where to go from here to fix it. I have removed Itunes (including running Nevo (Revo??) and Bonjour, Quicktime, etc. and made sure all services and startups related to Itunes were gone. I disabled CA Internet Security. I am also unable to access the internet when in safe mode even if I select Safe Mode with Networking OR from MSConfig select Safe Mode and tick the box for Networking. The wireless connection shows connected and excellent, but IE says no go. Any help would be appreciated. My forehead is getting flat from banging it against the wall.

Sandy

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try disabling Bonjour (msconfig services), if you have it. I believe that comes with itunes installs and causes some issues.

Some AV software is also know to cause issues, you might try completely removing CA IS from your computer using an uninstall tool if they have one. If it fixes the problem then get your money back, if not then you could reinstall.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
does it boot w/o BSOD now?

if you do get a BSOD then copy the dmp files to your documents folder, zip them, and upload them here. If you have to, put them on a usb stick in safe mode and then upload them from another computer.

even if you don't get a BSOD, upload the previous DMP files.

I'm not aware of any problems with quicktime but you might consider loading quicktime lite 4.1.0 if you need QT (and I personally recommend using custom install and NOT installing the media player). As for a media player if you want an alternative to Windows Media Player then I recommend VLC; it is an excellent media player.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I still get a BSOD booting in normal mode. I still don't have internet in Safe Mode. I don't think I'll be able to upload the dump file until early next week, but I'm really hoping you can guide me through this. I'm needing the laptop to work remotely in the near future. Have a great weekend and we'll e-chat next week.

Sandy

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have moved your other post into this thread as they are likely all related.

In the one post you mention CA is disabled. Please remove CA completely uninstalling plus using their removal tool if they have one.

If this is a new machine you should still be under warranty from HP. You might want to contact HP support.

And as I mentioned please post the DMP files, even if you have to copy them to a flash drive and then upload them at your local library.

Have a nice Labor Day Weekend.

Ask a Question