Safe Mode - Discussion

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Very good and handy Article Ian, working in safe mode can often save the day :cool:

Reaction score
Nice but there are many posts in various forums where the F8 key doesn't bring up the boot menu in Windows 7. This is what I did to get F8 to work.
Go to Start>Find>Advanced System Settings. Under “Startup and Recovery” click on “Settings”. Check the 2 boxes for "Time to display Operating Systems” and “Time to display recovery options when needed”. Set the time for each to 10. You can later change this to fit your preference. Reboot, and when it shows the screen, press F8.

Reaction score
F5 brings safe mode up on my computer. F8 asks me which drive I want to use to boot up.:)

Reaction score
Nice article. Maybe you could extend this text and write something about the Last Know Good Configuration' option.

That option has helped me a lot with crippled PC's.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As andsome says. One of my computers (Acer Aspire) also needs the F5 key to start the process. Maybe you should add that in the tutorial, Ian.

Reaction score
Thanks for that. F5 works but I also found when F8 bings up the drive menu, hit enter to boot from C drive then hitting F8 again brings up the safe mode menu.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll have a look at expanding this article when I've got some time off next week :)

Ask a Question