Runtime Error - stops printer software install

Reaction score
I'm trying to re install my HP C7280 printer software which inexplicably stopped working this week.
I was getting a window to say the driver/software had not completed install (wich was false as I had been using it for several months) The printer also works fine from other programmes etc and shows up in Printers and devices.
I have tried all sorts of options inc unistalling and re installing but I always come up against a window that states:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
X Runtime Error!
Programe: C:\users etc.... \Setup.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information

I have the most upto date download from HP, which is for Win 7 X64 and I have run a Reg Cleaner as most advice on the internet seems to suggest and still no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 200? Redistributable & the printer software, then reinstall. But try to figure out which redistributable; I have 4 references in control panel \ programs and features to 2005 and 7 to 2008 (various dates and bit versions). You can delete them all but then other programs that need the ones the printer doesn't reinstall will have to be reinstalled too.

There is an install date, that may help you better figure out the version that installed with your printer.

Reaction score
Try opening an elevated command prompt and running this command:

sfc /scannow

Reboot after it's done.

Reaction score
Try opening an elevated command prompt and running this command:

sfc /scannow

Reboot after it's done.
Done and it ended with something like Windows could not find any integrity violation.

rebooed and tried again but same error message ??

Reaction score
Tried a System restore and that 'FAILED' ??

Deleting the files seems a bit dangerous but might have to go that option soon?

Reaction score
OK, managed to complete a system restore in safe mode.
Installation process seems to work now BUT I now have something called TrayApp trying to configure and despite having the original disc it won't stop everytime I turn the laptop on. Plus the installation fails right at the end of the process ???
It never rains ......

Reaction score
You can use Regedit or msconfig to stop software starting with Windows.

The "right" way is with regedit.

The "easy" way is to type msconfig in the start menu then press enter. Go to startup tab. Uncheck whatever you want then save.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have a W7 repair DVD (W7 asks you to create one after it is first installed or a new computer is booted the first time) ? If so try rebooting with that.

The trayapp may be something provided by the computer manufacturer; possibly to control on-screen volume or some such similar function. Try installing CCleaner and run the registry cleaner (it is the second icon on the list). Be sure to create a backup when it offers before allowing it to delete..

Reaction score
I found HP Photosmart Essentials in start up using msconfig and unselected it, which has stopped the TrayApp problem. TrayApp is a prog that HP use when installing software.
I've looked in 'unistall programs and there are a load of HP progs there. However clicking on uninstall has no effect at all, i.e. nothing happens!. Trying to re install the software also doesn't work now either?
I did make an image DVD but won't this delete all my documents etc?

Ask a Question