SOLVED Restore a Macrium Image

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for having such a great forum! I am using a Gateway MX8734 laptop. It originally came with Vista 32, but I decided to upgrade to win 7 32 in December. I love Win7!

This system has been flawless since the upgrade. That is, until I recently lost connectivity to my wireless network. Running diagnostic results in an error about Diagnostics Policy not running. I went to services.msc and tried to start. I get an error code 5. Then, in event viewer, I see that the Network Location Awareness is not started. When I try to start this, I get a code 1073741288. As a side note, I did connect the computer to a Hotel network, recently. Seemed to work fine after we got home for a day or so, but then just stopped. I haven't installed anything new. I also tried connecting the computer via Ethernet to my network, but cannot connect.

I tried to run a system restore. After it was finished, I got an error message that it was unable to restore the file "C:\windows\system32\drivers\sfi.dat (not sure if that means anything).

OK, so I am a Macruim Free user. I decided to just do a restore of an image I made a month ago. This is where I realized a big problem. I cannot create a BartPE boot disc with commands for Macrium in a win 7 environment. I tried to install and run WinBuilder, but without internet access, I am unable to create a boot disk. And, quite honestly, I am not sure how to integrate the Macrium commands even if I could.

I would appreciate any assistance. I am going crazy trying to fix this.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for having such a great forum! I am using a Gateway MX8734 laptop. It originally came with Vista 32, but I decided to upgrade to win 7 32 in December. I love Win7!

This system has been flawless since the upgrade. That is, until I recently lost connectivity to my wireless network. Running diagnostic results in an error about Diagnostics Policy not running. I went to services.msc and tried to start. I get an error code 5. Then, in event viewer, I see that the Network Location Awareness is not started. When I try to start this, I get a code 1073741288. As a side note, I did connect the computer to a Hotel network, recently. Seemed to work fine after we got home for a day or so, but then just stopped. I haven't installed anything new. I also tried connecting the computer via Ethernet to my network, but cannot connect.

I tried to run a system restore. After it was finished, I got an error message that it was unable to restore the file "C:\windows\system32\drivers\sfi.dat (not sure if that means anything).

OK, so I am a Macruim Free user. I decided to just do a restore of an image I made a month ago. This is where I realized a big problem. I cannot create a BartPE boot disc with commands for Macrium in a win 7 environment. I tried to install and run WinBuilder, but without internet access, I am unable to create a boot disk. And, quite honestly, I am not sure how to integrate the Macrium commands even if I could.

I would appreciate any assistance. I am going crazy trying to fix this.
You may need to put in your Repair disc, and boot from that ( assuming you created one). If you didn't, you can create one from another computer that runs Windows 7. Or if you have a Windows 7 install disc, you can boot from that, and when the prompt to Repair shows, click onto it. It will make an attempt to repair your computer, however, it's not guaranteed to work in every instance. If you cannot repair Windows 7, you may need to consider reinstalling Windows 7. If you need further assistance, feel free to post back. There may later be other answers to this thread, so check back to see if there are.

Reaction score
Repair Disc

I booted from install disc, ran system restore, it finished successfully, and I am back in business!

thanks for your help.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I booted from install disc, ran system restore, it finished successfully, and I am back in business!

thanks for your help.
That's fantastic, bomber1712! Glad to hear you're back in business. When you get a chance, you may want to go to backup, there's an option to create an emergency repair disc. Put this disc with your install disc (in a separate sleeve) in a safe place. It sounds like you keep up with discs well, anyway. You may need this other disc someday. Should you need further help with anything, remember us, and come back. Someone is usually around to help.

Ask a Question