Reset keyboard Ease of Access Settings to default?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I edited some settings in the keyboard section of the "Ease of Access" area on my W7 operating system.

I was wondering how I can revert to the default settings there (since I don't know what they were), even it if means reverting everything in Ease of Access to the default settings, such as for the mouse and so on.

:)

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What did you change in the Ease of Access area specifically? You could use the option "Let windows choose settings" and i'm sure it would be the defaults from factory settings if you define yourself as the average computer user; not blind, etc...

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
" You could use the option "Let windows choose settings"

That's interesting. Where would he find that option in the Ease of access centre.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks. I use the Control Panel icon view. That option doesn't show there.
I have just tried it, however. Not sure that will change back to "default" settings. If you ignore all the questions, it does nothing. If you answer them, it changes settings - not necessarily to the default??

Last edited:

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks. I use the Control Panel icon view. That option doesn't show there.
I have just tried it, however. Not sure that will change back to "default" settings. If you ignore all the questions, it does nothing. If you answer them, it changes settings - not necessarily to the default??
My suggestion was to try to answer the answers with the most obvious answers to see if it would set that as default. I'm sure Microsoft would have built factory settings to accomodate the common user, so there must be some combination of answers that would revert it to a default setting overall.

To get there I found the ease of access center through the search bar in the start menu, then it's just one location BACK from the Ease of access center.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
MJOLNIR, I believe the default under Ease of Access ... Keyboard is that NOTHING is checked.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I see. I have the default Search facility uninstalled, so cannot go down that path. Easy enough though, as I did, to just change the Control panel default view and experiment.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe the default under Keyboard is that NOTHING is checked.
Agreed. I just had a look. The only ticked items are the toggles and the last - to prevent full screen mode. I did those myself.

The thread got me going, though. Odd that there is not a postive "return to default" button. I posted up on the technet forums and did not get any satisfactory answers, only suggestions.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That ease of access actually just makes it harder for me to use my computer ironically lol. I absolutely hate it so I just stay out of there.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well. I have fat thumbs and the sticky keys is great for me tells me when I have accidentally hit the caps. And I loathe the facility to maximise the desktop windows, so I found that useful too. Other than that, I agree. The remainder has no real value.

Reaction score
The last box is checked to prevent windows from being automatically arranged at the edge of a screen? I'm pretty sure there was no check there either. Windows 7 has been doing that all the time.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Correction, the original settings are that nothing is checked EXCEPT "Turn on Toggle Keys by holding down the NUM LOCK for 5 seconds".

I personally hate it resizing windows for me when they hit an edge so I DO have that last box checked but they are your settings and you should set them to whatever you like.

But you have your answer - the default is that nothing but "Turn on Toggle Keys by holding down the NUM LOCK for 5 seconds" is checked.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have corrected my msg above. After looking at my HTPC which has not been changed I see that the subheading "Turn on Toggle Keys by holding down the NUM LOCK for 5 seconds" is checked by default.

Reaction score
Unbelievable

And I thought the ease of access feature would be pretty much the same between WIN7 and XP. Boy was I wrong.

The "Accessibility Wizard" is complete garbage. I couldn't even see the option to lock my keyboard with it, because usually when studying I may want to lay my textbook on it while trying to get comfortable.

This wizard on XP is total @$$, that when simply going from one page to the "next" during the wizard, the page it then brings you to automatically makes a selection that modifies some visual setting on your computer, and then pressing freaking cancel makes it SAVE whatever crap it did to your computer! I've been trying to figure out for the last hour and a half how my notification icons on the right got bigger and more pixelated when I never selected anything to have that occur!. NEVER have I seen a cancel option actually SAVE any modifications. This is probably the biggest screw-up with XP I've yet to see.

Well my question regarding this is, does a system restore restore settings like these? You know, settings, for example, in the ease of access center on Windows 7? Let's say I clicked on my desktop, went to properties, and then completely messed around with the settings there. Would a system restore to a point before I did any of that, restore all my Windows settings to the way they were before? Or is there a limit to this when it comes to the system restore feature?

Secondly, is there a way I can restore ALL Windows settings (on XP and/or Windows 7) to their default? This option would be extremely helpful actually.

Thanks...so upset I wasted about 2 hours now when I'm supposed to be studying and crap, and I'm STILL trying to find out how to lock my keyboard. <.<

Reaction score
Sorry to double post, but I feel I need to separate this from the above.

Other than explaining what happened, my questions are:

1. Do system restores (on XP and Windows 7) restore any and all changes you've made to Windows? Resolution changes? Accessibility changes? Etc.?

2. Is there a way to disable or even lock a keyboard on XP? I also notice holding shift for 8+ seconds doesn't bring up the sticky keys window...why?

3. Is there a restore all Windows settings to default option in XP or 7? I guess not, but I'm confirming.

Going to take a nap now from this rather terrible day. Actually the whole week was bull, and yeah, I complain a lot (at least online) sorry about that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ease of access, i am done with it thanks to my dearest friend mp

i am guessing to reset all the defaults and now you are left with a slow REPEAT RATE. click keyboard settings in the EASE OF ACCESS CENTER and move the cursor*** of the repeat rate to fast. sorry for being blunt but you never know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question