Repair Install

Reaction score
I'm trying to do a repair install of Windows 7 Pro 64bit and I keep getting a compatibility failure. There is no explanation of the failure, just
'An error prevented a required compliance check from completing. Cancel the installation and try upgrading again.'

I have done the research and found some issues with Carbonite so I uninstalled. Also issues with .NET Framework 1.1 so I uninstalled that using Microsoft's method of uninstalling. I'm assuming it's some 32bit conflict. I ran the Upgrade Adviser and found no issues.

I am running the Repair Install to fix some registry errors. The event log shows no errors or warnings.

My next step is chkdsk /r

I anyone has any insights I'd be grateful to hear them.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
That's strange...
What kind of problems were you having? Up to which point can you get before the error?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What sort of registry errors are you getting, roban? We might be able to help with that and prevent the need for a repair install :).

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
What sort of registry errors are you getting, roban? We might be able to help with that and prevent the need for a repair install :).
Indeed.

What I would do before going for the repair install, is a system restore to before the problems. That saved me a lot of time and work a few times.

Reaction score
Problem is I can't do a system restore. The restore service is running but all restores fail.

I'm not getting registry errors per se but as I was trying to install Office 2007, I was getting permission errors even with a cold boot. I ran reset.cmd in safe mode to reset the registry but that didn't help so I am assuming I have some corruption. I've done sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r.

I am teetering on the verge of a fresh install.

Update: No more teetering. I'm going with a fresh install.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you install office 2007 via right click setup.exe > run as administrator? I've seen a few people have problems with the install process and EULA popups when that wasn't done. That's the only thing I can think of from the top of my head.

Fingers crossed the clean install does the trick :). I quite enjoy performing a clean install every so often, just to "freshen up" the system and clean out some of the junk ;).

Reaction score
Did you install office 2007 via right click setup.exe > run as administrator? I've seen a few people have problems with the install process and EULA popups when that wasn't done. That's the only thing I can think of from the top of my head.

Fingers crossed the clean install does the trick :). I quite enjoy performing a clean install every so often, just to "freshen up" the system and clean out some of the junk ;).
Yep been there, done that. Took ownership, elevated permissions...yadaayada.

Finally did a clean install and no problems. I just gotta stop using registry cleaners.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Those registry cleaners have been known to screw up one's system, even in experienced hands. Except for CCleaner & Windows Live Safety Scanner, I don't fool with them. Some has logos claiming to be a certified Microsoft Partner, but that means nothing. Anyone who has the cash can be a "partner" of Microsoft. This does not imply that Microsoft endorses their products, but that's what the seller wants you to think, by using that logo.

Hopefully, the clean install will do the trick. It usually does, and is the simplest way to solve a wide range of issues. Normally, it works for me every time.

Reaction score
ccleaner is the one I had been using but I cannot swear that was the root cause of my problem.

In any case, the clean install resolved all issues and took me less time than trying to fix it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have had no problems using CCleaner's registry cleaner option, it's the other ones that have given me problems in the past.

I know that when I used to run XP Pro, that about 1 in every 3 or 4 installs would be weak for some reason and just wouldn't run normally.

I'm not sure about Windows 7 regarding that issue though.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've never had to use a registry cleaner with 7 as of yet, and hope that I don't have to. But if I did feel the need for one, CCleaner would be the one that I'd use. If that doesn't work, I'll fall back on the backup that I made as soon as 7 was installed & updated w/no programs installed.

Ask a Question