Remove OEM branding from windows 7

Reaction score
Are you tired of seeing that big dell or toshiba logo every time you go to your system properties (Right click my computer properties) :) .. Well here is something for you!

To remove OEM branding do the following..

1/ Click Start.

2/ On the Start menu click Run.

3/ If the Run dialogue box is not available you will need to click on all programs>accessories and then click the Run option.

4/ In the Run dialogue box type: Rundll32 IedkCS32.dll, BrandCleanInstallStubs and press OK.

5/ User Account Control (UAC) will pop up a permissions dialogue box. If you are the administrator then simply press the Continue button. If you are not the administrator then you will need the administrator password before you can continue.

6/ Once you have given User Account Control the relevant permissions the the command in step 5 above will be executed and all OEM branding should now disappear.
IF you want to add your own logo do the following..

1. [FONT=&quot]Click Start and from the search box, type regedit[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Navigate to the following path from within the registry:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ OEMInformation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]OEM Note:[FONT=&quot] If the OEMInformation folder is missing, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Download[/FONT][FONT=&quot] this oem.reg file, double click it to add it to the registry and then proceed with Step 2.[/FONT][/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Now simply adjust the Logo and Manufacturer key values to suite your custom needs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Logo Note:[FONT=&quot] The logo needs to be in .bmp format and should be 120×120. Larger images will be automatically resized.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once finished, you can check your system properties and you should see a custom Logo and manufacturer description based on Step 3. [/FONT]

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I don't see 'em because I custom-build my own systems. :)

This is a good little method though, and I'm sure that several here will find it handy.

Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website - LeHaM ! :ciao:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I added an icon to mine a few weeks back because it wasn't there but I had to keep tweaking and tweaking because it would stretch it wierd. BTW it does not have to be a BMP, mine is a JPG (though maybe that's why it stretched it?? :dontknow:)

Reaction score
The fact that it's a Jpeg shouldn't effect weather or not it's stretched. Maybe your image is just a odd size, what are the dimensions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Originally 160x160 but I had to stretch it to 260x160 so that in control panel \ System it then actually looks square :dontknow:

Reaction score
So are you saying you fixed it??? if not upload the original file so i can try it on my pc..

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well fixed is a pretty strong word ... I applied duct tape and chewing gum to the system to make it do what I think it should have done in the first place.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
As Red Green would say: "Duct tape, the handyman's secret weapon!"

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!

On Mythbusters they actually made a sailboat out of duct tape and it actually worked.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Because we're all in this together! (Men that is... :D !)

I think my Possum Lodge membership is still valid too!

Reaction score
Is a logo screen at boot up the only difference with a branded versions of Windows and a regular version?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Tom, the real difference is the legality of the licensing: an OEM license cannot be transferred to another computer, it dies with that machine. In fact, legally, if you even replace the motherboard with anything but the exact same model it is supposed to end then (though usually if you call Microsoft after a MOBO change they will give you a reactivation code). Removing the OEM branding doesn't change this legal agreement.

It also won't change the branding at boot up - that is usually built into the BIOS. This is to change what you see in System Properties once you are logged on.

Last edited:

Ask a Question