Remote connection login issues

Reaction score
Hey everybody.
I've been trying to set up a remote desktop connection on my freshly built Win7 machine. I'm trying to access that PC from my laptop (WinXP Pro) within my house. I have gone over the settings dozens of times & everything should be set up correctly but I'm still having an issue logging in. No matter what I do when I try to log in it says incorrect password. I changed the password on both machines to the same four letter word (to simplify things) & I still get an incorrect password error. I only have two accounts set up, one in my name & then the admin one, both with the same password. Any idea why it keeps denying my password? Oh, & I have no issue logging in when I'm at my machine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
MrWhitey,

What version of Windows 7? What does the rest of your computing environment look like? (only the two pcs?) What is the network topology? (a wireless router, etc) Do you have a firewall set up anywhere? Also, what version of the RDP client are you running on your XP machine? Check out this blog posting for details that might be impacting you:

http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2...7-for-windows-7-windows-xp-windows-vista.aspx

Greg Oliver
ISV Architect Evangelist
Microsoft Corporation

Last edited:

Ask a Question