SOLVED Registry whoopsie! Win7 Ult x64 Reg Backup, anyone?

Reaction score
I'm the guy who all my friends call for PC help. I've been fixing Windows computers for over 10 years, and have personally built every computer I've ever owned (with the exception of my laptop). With this in mind, I just made a rather major "Whoopsie!" of a stupid rookie mistake...

I got a bit of tunnel-vision about the fact that Win7 doesn't allow disabling Auto-Arrange. When I Googled an answer, I found this site:
UNAWAVE - Windows 7 disable sorting auto arrange
I was in a bit of a rush, and they had a Batch file to automatically edit the entries to restore the option of Auto-arrange. I didn't read the page clearly enough, and I thought the Batch file would make a backup of my existing Registry entries before editing them, but it didn't. And now, Auto-arrange is available as an option, but if you rename any files or make any other similar changes, it reverts. Also, Tiles View is gone, and I'm instead left with "Extended Tiles View" which basically gives each tile a full-row select, regardless of the screen resolution.

So what I'm asking for here is... Does anyone have a backup of an unedited REG file that they can give me? I just need a few branches.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and every time I look at that page to try to figure out how to fix it, I get confused and worried that I'll make it worse. I'd appreciate any help, including a better explanation of what exactly that Batch file did, and whether I can just delete entries or I'd have to replace them.

Thanks, all!

Reaction score
I read the BAT file and noticed the there was delete command. I did not run the BAT file. The line that run the delete command was renamed to an export command. All other commands were removed from the BAT before I ran the script. I backup those items and zipped them up for you. In other words the export was all I wanted. I hope this is what you are asking for. If not, let me know. :)

View attachment AllFolders.zip

PS:
Please note I have Home Premium. I hope that doesn't make a difference.

Reaction score
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! :beer:

What a relief to have it back to normal! First step now: full Reg backup!!

:D

Edit: PS: Apparently, it didn't. Thankfully! :)

Edit2:
Whoops! I may have spoken too soon.. I see the original Batch did the same thing for (I think) 5 different templates of folders.. My root D: drive and root C: drive are back to normal, but it looks like all other folders still have only the edited styles, with "Extended Tile" view. I'll restart and see about it..

Edit3: (final edit)
clifford_cooley's solution worked partially, but I was able to find out that the Batch file adds to a few specific folders/branches in the Registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

By deleting the contents of these 4 folders (more simply by deleting the folders themselves), and then logging-off, and back in again, the Folder views were all reset to default! Everything is back to normal!

Last edited:

Ask a Question