Reformat hard drive and install W7 upgrade?

Reaction score
Hello, my Asus notebook came with Vista but Asus offered a free Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade disk. I received the disk and upgraded.

Now, I want to reformat the hard drive so as to delete all data on the hard drive and reinstall W7 using the upgrade disk.

I assume that when I originally installed the W7 upgrade disk that it verified I had Vista installed which entitled the upgrade. If I reformat the hard drive, will I still be able to install the W7 upgrade disk?

Thank you in advance.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi Dadeo! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website!

Yes you can do a clean or custom install of Windows 7 with your upgrade disc with no issues at all and not having to install Vista either.

Go ahead and do it wiping the hard drive clean, just be sure to have all the latest drivers for your notebook downloaded and stored on a thumb drive, external hard drive or a CD-RW disc.

If you have any problems, go to Paul Thurrott's website for this handy tuturial: Revealing the secrets to clean-installing Windows 7 with Upgrade media.

Reaction score
Hi Nibiru, thank you for the welcome and the quick response.

Where and how do I download the necessary drivers?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
you should go to your manufacturer's website, i believe it is ASUS

go here; http://support.asus.com/

you will need to put you computer details in on this site to get correct drivers.

Install your drivers and then use windows update to install other updates that you will have.

EDIT

sorry just noticed Nibiru told you to put all driver on a disc or something, so you already have your drivers to hand :eek:

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The Asus site only lists drivers for the U81A notebook in Vista 64-bit, not Windows 7.

They show no drivers for Windows 7 for that model.

You'll have to download the drivers from the hardware maker's websites such as Intel for the chipset and video drivers. Elantech for the Touchpad driver. etc.

Reaction score
I read elsewhere that my notebook is listed as U80A Best Buy at Asus support page. When I viewed the drivers, it does seem to make sense. Windows 7 was an option to get you to the right page for downloads; the U81A page only supports Vista.

Thanks again. Going to do clean install this weekend.

Reaction score

Ask a Question