red X next to the speaker icon

Reaction score
There is a red X next to the speaker icon in the tool tray. The message says no audio components are plugged in, but they are all plugged in. I'm new to this forum, and I will appreciate any help anyone can give me. Please keep the suggestions low tech since I am not a computer expert. Thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What is the make/model of your computer?

It is possible you do not have the proper audio drivers installed. Go to control panel > device manager. Under "Sound, video, and game controllers" check to see all sound drivers are installed an "working properly". If they aren't then you will need to install them.

If the drivers are installed and working then go to control panel > sounds ... playback tab and make sure the speakers are the default device.

Reaction score
Mine does that too, whenever it feels like it. The audio works fine all the time, whether or not the X is there... I've learned to ignore it.

Ask a Question