recovery disk now won't work- help please

Reaction score
I bought a windows 7 ultimate from eBay and installed it but it keeps saying I have x number of days to activate. I called Microsoft
tech support and the said that my product key was legit a real retail key but it was on someone computer already.I explain it was new
in the box when I receive it and Said I would have to buy another key. so I went back to eBay to let them know about my buy and the buyer name. but they
have removed that seller for to many complaints.I cannot afford to buy another key. but here the problem my computer now will not take
my windows 7 home premium recovery disk. how can I bring by my computer to the way it was. thank anyone for any help.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Boot from the Windows 7 Home Premium disc and perform a "custom" as in clean install. It will wipe the hard drive so back up crucial data first.

Reaction score
OK I tried that, but the only way I could get to custom was using the windows 7 ultimate disk. In customs I tried to format both the C drive and the D system recovery drive.It would not let me format either one.
So I use the last option and hit the delete drive button. I deleted both drives and it showed I now have x number GB free on each drive.
So I put in my windows 7 home premium recovery disk 1, it shows loading windows recovery files but when the scroll bar gets full it come up windows does not support this disk for this computer setup. Even though there the recovery disk I got from HP thinking maybe the the recovery disk I made when I got my computer were no good so I ordered recovery disk from HP.
So I put the windows 7 ultimate disk go to install and go to customs it shows where both drives are clean with the exception of C;system32/driver. So now I'm scratching my head again,I can install the windows 7 ultimate but can not active because of product key. But it will not let me reinstall my windows 7 home premium recovery disk because OS on my computer no longer support the home premium recovery disk. any other options other than buying a new hard drive?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Core, is helping you get Home Premium reinstalled but as for your cash to the ebay seller ...

Even if the buyer is removed you have 45 days to file a buyer protection claim. If it has been more than 45 days and you paid your Paypal funded by a credit card then you have 60 (I think 60, check w/ your CC company) days from when it first appears on your bill to file a written complaint.

Getting your money back is your only real recourse. And if you wait too long that is gone as well.

Microsoft won't help because you didn't pay them; the seller sold cloned software with the same product key to many people. ebay lets it happen because some sellers are legit and ebay profits. But the buyer takes a risk every time they buy W7 off ebay that it may be a cloned key.

So ebay facilitates the crime but takes no responsibility. And as for Microsoft, I can't blame them wanting to get paid but there needs to be a better system: keys can show up as valid on your computer for months, well past any chance of funds recovery, and then Microsoft flags them as overused.

You learned some valuable lessons I'm afraid. Pay by credit card every ebay purchase. File a buyers protection claim within 45 days. File with your credit card if within their time frame. Don't buy W7 from ebay, there is somewhere between a 20 & 50% chance it is fake.

Last edited:

Ask a Question