Recent places storage of shortcuts

Reaction score
I have 2 laptops, both running Win7. The recent place folder in one laptop retains about 20-30 shortcuts. The other only retains about 6-7 shortcuts and deletes older ones every day. I have reviewed the properties on both and they appear the same.

Does anybody know where there is a setting to increase the number of shortcuts stored in the recent places folder?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Default should be 10 but you can change it with the Local Group Policy Editor if you have W7 Professional or Ultimate. If you have a Home version then you will need to edit the registry manually.

To customize the size of the Start menu’s Recent Items list, follow these steps:

1. In the Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Explorer branch.
  2. Double-click the Maximum Number Of Recent Documents policy.
  3. Click Enabled.
  4. Use the Maximum Number Of Recent Documents spin box to specify the number of documents you want Windows 7 to display.
  5. Click OK.
For the Registry equivalent, open the Registry Editor and display the following key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Create a DWORD setting named MaxRecentDocs and set its value to the number of recent documents you want to display.
Source

Reaction score
I'm running Win 7 64 bit home premium. I tried to open
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer "
There is no folder "Explorer" under Policies.
Can I Create a DWORD setting named MaxRecentDocs in the Policies folder?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No you create a key called Explorer under Policies (Right-click on Policies & select New -> Key) and then you create the DWORD MaxRecentDocs under the new Explorer key (Right-click on Explorer & select New -> DWORD, then name it MaxRecentDocs, and then edit the value to what you want).

Ask a Question