Random BSoDs

Reaction score
Hello Gents.

Since I bought this PC back in November of 2009, BSoDs have been a rare issue for me, but as of recently I have been getting them on quite a regular bases namely when I leave my PC overnight and just today while playing a game.

My issues started five days after I installed a new piece of RAM which you can see the specs of in the attached image (Slot#4).

Furthermore, I ran Memtest86+ and the first test resulted in more than 400 errors but just to make sure I ran the test again and this time the test passed without a single error.:confused:

I attached the latest MiniDumps along with images regarding my RAM specifications.

By your expertise, I hope to get this issue resolved :).

Attachments

Reaction score
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums, ZeroCast!

What do the BSODs say? They should show a "STOP" message and an error message like "Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area". Those are the keys to unlocking your BSOD problems. BSODs are not always linked to RAM, and Memtest86 can sometimes post errors, as with any RAM errors can happen.

Reaction score
Windows usually has a message when the computer reboots from the BSOD. What is the error code? Also look in the Action Center, for maintenance. And like WG said, welcome! :cool:

Reaction score
Thank you both for your kind welcome.

The stop message was "dxgmms1.sys", this happened today while playing FIFA 11. Other BSoDs happened without being able to see the message so this is were I was hoping someone would analyze the dump files like Elmer BeFuddled did in earlier threads :p.

Reaction score
dxgmms1.sys is DirectX-related. This means that you should probably try and update your GPU drivers. Your profile says you have an HD5850 (if this is the same PC having issues) so all you need to do is go to AMD's website and download the latest Catalyst drivers.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx This link is to AMD's Support Hub, there you will find everything you need. Just select your card from the drop-down menu and go from there. You don't have to uninstall old Catalyst drivers, the update will do that for you. If you need anything else, just ask, W7Forums is here for you!

Reaction score
I downloaded the updated and seems that it is not applicable on my computer.

My driver is up to date too, I always make sure of it every month or so.

Reaction score
I downloaded the updated and seems that it is not applicable on my computer.

My driver is up to date too, I always make sure of it every month or so.

Are you talking about my link or WG's driver update?

Reaction score
Are you talking about my link or WG's driver update?

About both actually. I downloaded the update you mentioned and a message appeared telling me that "The update is not applicable to your computer".

Reaction score
That is strange. Did you download the correct bit version? Your computer specs show that you use 64 bit. Did you download that one?

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, my video card drivers are also up to date (11.7), I installed them 2 days ago.

Reaction score
If it started happening after that, I recommend a roll back of the drivers.

Reaction score
If you are already running DirectX 11 then there isn't much to do but try to update all of the drivers on your system. As linux said, rolling back may be a better option but I do recommend using 100% up to date drivers for best stability.

I warn you, do NOT download ANYTHING that says "Update your drivers automatically!" because those are anywhere from annoying to nagware to even viruses. They can do everything except for update your drivers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It may also work to update your DirectX. If you are already running DirectX 11 then there isn't much to do but try to update all of the drivers on your system. As linux said, rolling back may be a better option but I do recommend using 100% up to date drivers for best stability.

I warn you, do NOT download ANYTHING that says "Update your drivers automatically!" because those are anywhere from annoying to nagware to even viruses. They can do everything except for update your drivers.

nVidia's website has an update my drivers automatically option...

Ask a Question