SOLVED Random BSOD, Reinstalled OS, BSOD from sleep

Reaction score
I have no idea anymore. I tried every possible solution I know so I guess I'll leave a dumpfile here so that the gurus here will troubleshoot for me.

My story goes like this. I just build a new rig and random BSODs start happening. I used whocrashed, sfc scannow, chkdsk /f /r, memtest for 10 hours with 9 passes. The BSOD codes are random. Often 1A and 4E. Then near the end before I reinstall OS, there is iastor.sys Rapid storage driver in WhoCrashed. I decide to give reinstalling OS a try.

I forgot to turn off sleep mode in power options so when I woke up this morning, turn my pc on from sleep mode, immediately a BSOD pops saying error code 7A. Whocrashed blames it on ntoskrnl but that's every case when BSOD happens.

Here's my minidmp file I uploaded.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CFF6EBB2231F7F20!196

Also, I have a GTX660 which is so new that I have only 2 driver choices from nVidia. But I decided to get the official ones from MSI even if it's a little older to test if it's stable. Still I get crashes in dota2 which also happens before I reformat. I don't play that game I watch but even watching has problems in not responding. And it is totally random. This is least important but it's an issue I've never had with my old rig. All version of drivers makes dota2 not responding but at a different rate that's all. Still it's totally random as well.

I wanted to know if it is a hardware issue or just drivers because I'm tired trying to solve this for more than 2 weeks now.

My specs if it helps :
Intel i5-3570k
Asrock z77 Pro3
GSkill 1333 RAM 2x4GB
MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr
Seasonic 620W S12 II
3 HDD - 1Tb 1Tb 500Gb
No SSD

Sorry for my bad English. It's not my native but I don't know who else to ask anymore.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Can you follow this guide and enable small memory dumps, the one you posted is 120 MB...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not a BSOD expert & I don't see anything special in your DMPs, they just point to the kernal which is basically a default.

So I will guess based on what you have mentioned ...

1. Since this happens coming out of sleep it could be your BIOS ACPI. Look for BIOS update to your motherboard and install it if there is one.

2. It could be that important things power down when it sleeps/hibernates. A common problem is the network interface card (NIC). Make sure you have the latest driver installed for your network card. And go into Control Panel > Device Manager; find your network card and open properties, power management tab. Do not allow it to sleep.
DeviceManager-NoSleep4NIC.jpg

Let us know if that helps.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for taking your time to read my minidmp. It appears that some of the Asrock board users are having BSODs as well with "Sata Aggressive Link...." enabled in BIOS. I disabled it and will monitor for another week just to be sure it doesn't happen again. Meanwhile troubleshooters should take note that Asrock boards cause BSOD with that settings enabled. Clashing with High Performance Win7 power option settings. I've also turned the NIC sleep mode off, thanks for tip.

I hope what I found is the nail in the coffin. Thanks!

Reaction score
Reporting back, I had another 2 BSOD on last Friday even with the BIOS settings off. I am now running on only 1 stick of RAM for testing and my game (dota 2 particularly) crashes even more than before. I seriously want to hope that this is a software rather than hardware issue.

This is the new minidmps. Please help.
http://sdrv.ms/SML7Mh

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Please use "go advanced" button and attach zipped up DMP files directly to your post
or
post an actual URL that does not pass through ads

Reaction score
Microsoft SkyDrive has ads? Sorry I didnt know that. And again the minidmps are all ntoskrnl.exe but if anyone can read then, minidmp is as attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your first post in the thread is direct to skydrive but your short URL removed from the last post went through an ad revenue site. I never even got to Skydrive because I block ad sites.

The one DMP mentions Nvidia driver (nvlddmkm.sys) so you should probably make sire you have the latest from HERE.

Both DMPs mention the CDRom.sys but you are using the std W7 driver so make sure you have the latest firmware and see if the manufacturer offers a specific driver rather than the W7 default (they may not but worth checking).

The one mentions the error is memory management, have you run MemTest86+ to see if you might have bad RAM sticks? Maybe check your timings and voltage in BIOS are set correctly too?.

Reaction score
Your first post in the thread is direct to skydrive but your short URL removed from the last post went through an ad revenue site. I never even got to Skydrive because I block ad sites.

The one DMP mentions Nvidia driver (nvlddmkm.sys) so you should probably make sire you have the latest from HERE.

Both DMPs mention the CDRom.sys but you are using the std W7 driver so make sure you have the latest firmware and see if the manufacturer offers a specific driver rather than the W7 default (they may not but worth checking).

The one mentions the error is memory management, have you run MemTest86+ to see if you might have bad RAM sticks? Maybe check your timings and voltage in BIOS are set correctly too?.
Thanks! That's the problem with my card, I have very little drivers to play around with (nvidia) because the card is new. And all WHQL/Beta drivers (3 in fact) gives same problems. CDRom.sys is prolly some virtual CD Rom I guess? I do not have a CD Rom installed but do have a Panasonic USB External one often not plugged in.

I ran memtest86+ a lot of times. the latest being 16 passes 0 errors. Voltage and timings are correct as well. I'm lost :( but it's good to know nVidia driver and CDRom.sys is creating these problems. Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would unload the video drivers & pull the video card. Use on-board video and see if the problem goes away.

If it does go away & if the only drivers available for your video card are beta then you may have to try contacting the manufacturer's support directly or you may need to return it and get something else. Sorry.

The problem with cutting-edge technology is that sometimes it can be a little sharp :(

Reaction score
I would unload the video drivers & pull the video card. Use on-board video and see if the problem goes away.

If it does go away & if the only drivers available for your video card are beta then you may have to try contacting the manufacturer's support directly or you may need to return it and get something else. Sorry.
I will try that thanks. I did contact manufacturer but they say they received no problems regarding GTX660 before. Anyway I'll report back with on-board graphic after a week.

Any idea on CDRom.sys?

Edit : yeah, card's new and sad to have this happening.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
cdrom.sys is just the standard W7 driver for a CD/DVD-Rom. I don't know that it is a problem.

Of course viruses are often hidden as standard system files so you could always run a safe mode A/V scan as explained HERE.

Reaction score
cdrom.sys is just the standard W7 driver for a CD/DVD-Rom. I don't know that it is a problem.

Of course viruses are often hidden as standard system files so you could always run a safe mode A/V scan as explained HERE.
Hmm, less likely, I did reformat before and after and install only the drivers needed in Device manager (devices with a !) I uninstalled all my virtual DVD programs (I heard they create problems but not during my last 4 years using win7) And in reinstalled my External DVD Rom drivers. I'll monitor for a week. Thanks a lot for analyzing the causes for me. May I know how did you do it? I'm pretty sure programs like WhoCrashed can't do this. Did you use windbg?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I'm still new to BSOD debugging but I pull the DMP up in BlueScreenView and look for items in red. If its the kernal in red (ntoskrnl.exe) then it isn't much help but others are a good candidate. Next, I sort by driver date and look for anything older than W7s official release in July 2009. I've found you can Ignore the Macrovision driver secdrv.SYS from Sept 2006 as well as Window's spldr.sys & AMD's amdxata.sys from May 2009. Finally, since video drivers are a very common issue I may also sort alphabetically and look for drivers starting with AMD's "ATI" or NVidia's "NV" to see how old those are.

To look up drivers I use a site like this Driver Reference Table

I also go by what people mention. If they say their motherboard or computer make/model I can look up the manufacturer's website and see when the latest BIOS and driver updates were.

Oh and one more thing. If I see 7600 instead of 7601 on the kernal then I know they haven't installed SP1 & that must be done.

And of course always a virus scan.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, but how are you sure it was nvlddmkm.sys and cdrom.sys causing it? There's indications?

Edit: nvm, silly me, it is highlighted in red. Thanks.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Please have a look at your event logs.

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000009d - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED

DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7a_c000009d

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: System

CURRENT_IRQL: 1

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from fffff80002cfebec to fffff80002cc6f00

Reaction score
Hi, I JUST got another bsod. Code 1A. Minidmp as attached.
Any suggestions Shintaro? Thanks.

I switched from 2 sticks to 1 stick of rams and changed the ram slot to #1 slot and used without a problem for a week (where usually the frequency of BSOD has already happen buy I'll never know exactly how long since it's random) Then I decided to put it in #2 slot just few days ago and today BSOD happened. I want to test more thoroughly before jumping into conclusion and RMA my MoBo.

Thanks for taking time to troubleshoot for me.

Edit: I wanna add that I will change the Ram to slot #3 today. And again put it for a week to test. This Ram is still the same RAM that passed memtest86+ and has no BSOD for a week at #1 slot. I have not take out GPU Driver and GTX660 because i decide to focus changing on one thing first so that i can try to pinpoint the issue. Certainly though, there is driver issue with my GTX660 because it often has "stopped responding and has recovered" message and It still crashes in certain games.

Again, thank you. And sorry for my bad English :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Ask a Question