RAM Issues

Reaction score
Ok, so upon building my first machine it seems I have some RAM problems. First, let me list my system:

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 XMS3 6 GB 3 X 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Tri-Channel Intel Core i7 Memory Kit
GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-768I GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

The problem is that not all of the RAM shows up all of the time. Whenever I tweak the RAM in the BIOS and then start the computer it shows the full 6 gigs of RAM. However, when I turn off or restart the computer it reverts back to 4 gigs. What could be causing this issue?

Reaction score
Hi.

In the bios, make sure that if there is a setting for memory remapping, it is set to yes or enabled.

Set the values for the RAM manually within the bios. It should be set to 1.65v for VDIMM, and 9-9-9-24 timings.

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TR3X6G1600C9.pdf

Install the latest bios if that didn't help, and set that again.

Reaction score
TorrentG,

Thanks for the post. Currently I have XMP mode enabled on my BIOS so it automatically reconfigures the memory. This setting has to be enabled for my memory to operate at 1600 mhz instead of the factory default of 1066 mhz. The settings you mentioned are all being used. I already updated the BIOS too.

Reaction score
I don't own or use any hardware like you have, so I'm unable to say with any type of authority. Please take that into consideration, although what I'll say very well may prove helpful.

I very much doubt that the only way to have the memory running at 1600 MHz is with auto settings. Especially with a wildly overclocker's type board as the Rampage III. Take a little time to familiarize yourself with the bios settings and you might be able to do what you think can't.

In Windows, it may be very helpful to use CPU-Z and its memory tab to see what is going on in relation to any settings you touch.

If all else fails, the absolute best resource you could ever hope for is within the Corsair help forums. The memory company forums are filled with employees and extremely advanced users that will tell you precise settings for your exact hardware.

Make a thread telling them the same thing you did here, if it is necessary. Someone is guaranteed to steer you in the right direction.

Please keep us updated as it's fairly interesting and would like to see this resolved, myself.

Ask a Question