Programs will not install on 64bit, compatability mode no use.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been having problems installing programs. Most any program I try to be honest. I've tried running the compatbility trouble shooting to no avail. Many of these have run on my old XP platform. I get varying error messages, if it was the same one it would help lol

Here's my system stats.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
SATA 500GB

Please, please help. I'm running 64bit windows 7 as a clean install on a new 500GB SATA drive, should i have installed 32bit? This is really getting me down. I'm losing faith in Win7 64bit :(

Cheers and thanks

Reaction score

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Could you list a couple or so of the programs with which you are having difficulty?
I have quite a few oldish 32bit programs running on 64Bit

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Really only useful if you haven't upgraded already, though. Sorry, I'm having Windows 7 difficulty myself (can't get the installation ISO to work), so I can't offer much help.
Did you burn the ISO image to a DVD using an ISO image burning software like ImgBurn or PowerISO? Did you burn it at 4x speed? Any faster can cause errors.

Reaction score
Could you list a couple or so of the programs with which you are having difficulty?
I have quite a few oldish 32bit programs running on 64Bit
Thanks the replies all.

Will not install :-
Belkin wireless router (how annoying is that!)
Grafics card drivers
Empire Total War.
Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Halo
Sins of a Solar Empire
+ many many more.

Will install :-
Fallout3
assasins creed
Dawn of War

There seems to be no reason to it, Dawn of War is an old program yet Empire Total War is a relatively new one.

hmmm, just noticed, you kind of get an idea of the kind of games I play :)

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
What does not work with the router? I have never seen a router that required an install to work with a modern version of Windows, that shouldn't need any installation.

What is the error message(s) when you install the graphics drivers and games?

Reaction score
Thanks for reply.

Sorry, not the router but the N wireless dongle, the USB plugged into the PC. I've installed the drivers off the Belkin website but they still made no differnece. Windows still tells me 'no driver installed'. I made absolutely sure I got the correct model and version type. The router works fine in Win7 with a cable connector, the dongle worked fine with XP.

The graphics drivers. I put the CD/DVD in and get the usual "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?" message, the file is "Nvsetup.exe" I click 'Yes' and nothing else happens, nothing at all.

Empire Total War gives error message in 'empire-error1.jpg' or 'empire-error2.jpg' or 'empire-error3.jpg' attached

Sins of a Solar Empire gives error message 'SoSE-error1.jpg, close that and then gets same error as 'empire-error3.jpg'

DDO gives error message 'DDO-error1.jpg' attached after the usual splash screen and system info screen and licence agreement screen. The DDO disk is in very good condition, no scratches, only been out of box twice, once to install on XP, once to install on Win7

Thanks.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi, I'm very frustrated, I can not run my protools on W 7 pro 64 bit.
I have m powered 7.1 with m audio 66. I tried the XP mode and the compatibility mode, and nothing... I need some help please...Thanks

Reaction score
Certain advanced 32-bit video, audio and photo editing plus CADCAM software may struggle on 64-bit because they bypass part of Windows and go straight to the processor in 32-bit, without giving Windows the opportunity to "upscale" them to 64-bit,

There seems to be no reason to it, Dawn of War is an old program yet Empire Total War is a relatively new one.)
Modern high definition 3-D games also bypass part of Windows and run straight to the prossesor and GPU for higher performance, result t#in the above problems. I have all the DOWs (they're great games ;)), but as they are so old Windows just deals with them and they work. For the very new games, they can work with 64-bit processor, but the games in between like Empire Total War don't have the benefits of either.

I don't know a solution to this problem, as it is pretty integral low-level stuff.

Ask a Question