Programming

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Are we allowed to post our own programs/applications?

I've programmed my own backup management application, and I was going to share it with the rest of the community, as it's a free program. I won't be selling it anywhere.

I haven't been able to find a link to the rules on this forum lately, so I want to check and make sure, to avoid any conflict.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Even then, I can use an external host, I don't have to upload it as an attachement here. I don't even do that on my own forum, just to save some space.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
We are somewhat wary of new-comers posting links to executables because it is so easy to include malware etc but it has been allowed at least once in the past when, after several messages back and forth, the poster seemed sincere. In that case and in any I would see come up I would add a disclaimer post warning that the file is maintained outside the control of this forum and that safety precautions including maintaining regular back-ups, running an anti-virus scan on any files downloaded, as well as creating a restore point prior to any installation are always recommended for programs downloaded from the internet.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well i've already provided a Virus scan and posted my application. If they don't think the Virus scan is legit, they can verify through one of the provided file hashes in the scan. I guarantee that I don't make malicious software.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You seem sincere but to be logical, I suspect if asked, all malware coders would also claim their code to be virus and malware free. They would get significantly less downloaders if they say "here, this will infect your machine".

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That's true, but hopefully i'll be able to raise some respect by providing others with non-malicious software here, so that I can be a respected uploader of my own applications. That's my goal anyway. I like to think that people know they can take my word for something.

Ask a Question