Problems with Nokia chat support and Microsoft chat support

Reaction score
A problem happened to me, it relates to my Nokia Lumia 920
This all started when for some unknown reason I lost my last number called, no matter where I searched within the phone I could not find out how to get back to the "last number called" facility
So I went to the Nokia site and got into a chat session, I explained the problem and the agent (he) advised me what to do and where to look a lot of which I had already done.
He then said “looks like we are going to have to reset your phone”!!!
There was no way I was happy with this, he said not a problem everything on your phone can either go to your computer or backed up to the cloud, with your Microsoft account.
So I went ahead and reset my phone etc. etc. and then after it rebooted I started to set it back up again copied the contents of my new Nokia folder from the pc back onto my phone.
So then I tried to make a call, yes that was good and it showed the last number called.
Then in the phone setup process, I enabled my Wi-Fi to my Virginmedia router, which showed as connected.
This is where the fun begins, please bear with me
Up to now this chat session had lasted 4 hours !!!
Now with the phone I tried to log-in to my Microsoft account to be told on the following words;
Can't connect
We're having a problem with signing in.
Make sure that you have a good reception. If you do, the problem may be at the other end.
Wait a little while and try again.

I told the Nokia guy what was happening and wrote out the above message, word for word.
I also told him I was on Wi-Fi with the phone and logged into my Microsoft account at the same time on the pc.
He then told me there are two different servers one for computers and one for mobiles (well that was something I learned) he asked me to check various things, all of which I did.
I was stumped and puzzled, because I had been on my Microsoft account with my phone earlier, now I "Can't connect", but I could connect to the account with my pc.
He told me he was puzzled, he went away and came back a few minutes later and we tried other things still no joy.
He finally said I can't do anymore, I will hand you over to Microsoft, to me that made sense.
I contact Microsoft chat support, he asked me what the problem was which I told him, and at this time my phone was not connected back to the pc.
He asked me to grant remote access.
To be honest, I never really like doing that, because all they have to is type in something, i.e "please go to start, then type etc. etc.
Anyway I granted him remote access he went to start and brought up an MS Dos screen (all the time my mouse is hovering over the disconnect button) this screen ran some script, which I had never seen before and he told me my phone had been hacked by somebody from Japan, bearing mind at this time my phone was not connected back to the pc, so I am really puzzled as to how he can tell this within 15 seconds or thereabouts.
I am getting really nervous now and my finger is getting twitchy over the disconnect button.
He told me it would be £199 to have the block removed; he then started drawing on my screen remotely telling me how they had got in.
I said no but no way does anybody get onto machine without me knowing about it, because of the level of internet security I have installed on the computer, he was then rambling on etc. etc. so I disconnected the chat and the remote access.
Now here I am at fault instead of closing the chat window and closing the remote access I should have saved the conversation, but hey ho I was fuming inside, you know what they say “act in haste, repent at leisure".
Sorry about all the above, but I had to put things into perspective.
So I think all things considered I got away very lightly.
By the way I still can’t access my account from my 920
I have been into the registry and the only line regarding Japan contains these words
(Default) REG_SZ Microsoft IME (Japanese)

So if anybody has had experiences like this I would be interested to hear about them.
I have some questions, if you would indulge me please;
So my questions are as follows;
1. Can I delete my Microsoft account completely and start again ?
2. If I do that will it eradicate the problem ?
3. What do I need to type into my computer, to read the MS Dos file that he read ?
4. If I can read it, will I be able to see Japan, if it exists ?
5. Can I go into my registry files and sort it out like that ?
6. Has anybody else experienced anything like this ?
a) If so what did you do ?
b) How did you get round the problem?
I do hope somebody can help, I have been involved with computers since Windows 3.0 then 3.11 then Windows 95 onwards, and I have never come across anything like this
Tony

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, it seems to me that the problem is virginmedia. Because if it was Microsoft's problem you wouldn't be able to login via your computer.

Do you have a WiFi router connected to the same network as your computer? Because the Nokia 920 can connect to any WiFi router.
For example When I am at home My Nokia 1020 connects to my home WiFi and thus uses unlimited ADSL. And when the 1020 is out of range of my WiFi it uses Optus WiFi/mobile network.
That way you could route the 920's data through the same method that your PC accesses the Internet and be sure if it is in fact Virgin or the 920.

Have you checked for updates on the phone? Both in settings and the Marketplace.

I know you said that you should have great computer security, but MS seem to think you have something that they can remove. I wouldn't have paid them either, what a rip off!

Maybe run the following, in particular the offline scan.
  1. Download and run TDSSKiller.
    1. Accept the "End User License Agreement"
    2. Accept the "KSN Statement"
    3. Select "Change Parameters" and Select:
      • Verify file digital signatures
      • Detect TDLFS file system
      • Use KSN to scan objects
    4. When the scan is complete the log file is in C:\ It will have a name like "TDSSKiller.3.0.0.34_04.05.2014_08.05.16_log.txt"
  2. Install Malwarebytes (Free Version)
    1. Select "Threat Scan"
    2. When it is completed, please upload the log file from: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs
  3. Please download and run Windows Defender Offline.
    1. Click "Next"
    2. Click "I Accept"
    3. Select Either: (Typically it is either CD/DVD or USB)
      • CD or DVD
      • USB
      • ISO file
    4. Click "Next"
    5. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.
I know this doesn't answer you questions, but all i can do is suggest some thing to check.

Anyway hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi There Shintaro
Thanks for a very interesting reply.
First things first.
My PC is connected via Virgimedia
My phone connects to the internet via T-Mobile
OR
My phone can connect to the internet via Wi-Fi on Virginmedia.
I can log-onto my Microsoft account via my PC without a problem .
I can't log onto the my Microsoft account either with Wi-Fi (Virginmedia) or T-Mobile
As regards the rest of your information Malware bytes been there done that and moved on.
If it helps there is no Internet security on my phone, but I don't download anything I only visit sites etc.

I realise its late for you, so I will get this in the post so you can see it soon.
Tony

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

1. So is the 920 on Windows phone 7 or 8?
  2. Does the phone say Microsoft SkyDrive or OneDrive?
  3. Was there any updates on the phone?
  4. What Offline scans have you done on your computer?
  5. Are you using 2-factor authentication on your Microsoft Account?

Just so we are clear, offline scan means to me, that you boot the computer off a CD/DVD and scan the hard drive without Windows running.

Reaction score
Hi There Shintaro
I realise you are tucked up in bed, but here is one for you.
As the problem lies with my phone and not being able to connect to my Microsoft account using T-Mobile, can I run the TDSSKiller on my mobile once I have accessed the internet which I am able to do ?
H'mmm interesting or what ?
Tony

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yea, I'm about to go to bed.

Could you kindly answer my question please.

Reaction score
Mate,

1. So is the 920 on Windows phone 7 or 8?
  2. Does the phone say Microsoft SkyDrive or OneDrive?
  3. Was there any updates on the phone?
  4. What Offline scans have you done on your computer?
  5. Are you using 2-factor authentication on your Microsoft Account?

Just so we are clear, offline scan means to me, that you boot the computer off a CD/DVD and scan the hard drive without Windows running.
  1. It is Nokia Lumia 920 running Windows 8.0 - - - - - - - OS version 8.0.10517.150
  2. ?
  3. Phone updates reads > > > > We are currently unable to check for updates. (80072f8f) this is despite me having 3G + reception.
  4. None, I can log onto my Microsoft account from my computer.
  5. No I just log in and away I go.

Shintaro

Reaction score
How are you connecting to your MS account on the phone? Via WP Internet Explorer or some other browser or application?

Anyway I granted him remote access he went to start and brought up an MS Dos screen (all the time my mouse is hovering over the disconnect button) this screen ran some script, which I had never seen before and he told me my phone had been hacked by somebody from Japan, bearing mind at this time my phone was not connected back to the pc,
Because of what you said happened I was wondering if you had some type of virus that your AV was not picking up. Hence if you run an Offline scan it should find things (Viruses) that hide when Windows is running.

Reaction score
TDSSKiller will not work on Nokia Lumia 920

On another Forum somebody said you can't get a virus on Nokia Lumia !

Last edited:
Reaction score
How are you connecting to your MS account on the phone? Via WP Internet Explorer or some other browser or application?
On the phone I run IE (don't know what version)

Because of what you said happened I was wondering if you had some type of virus that your AV was not picking up. Hence if you run an Offline scan it should find things (Viruses) that hide when Windows is running.
I will now run an offline scan and give you the details.

Reaction score
I have now run my offline full scan I have 2 TB HDD
I will write it word for word exactly what has been thrown up, capital letters where appropriate.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Detected:
not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Agent.alwn

C:\Documents and Settings\User\AppData\Local\Installer\Install_5788\sense.exe

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Detected:
not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.DelBar.v

C:\Documents and Settings\User\AppData\Local\Temp\Install_17434\cr.exe

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Detected:
not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.DelBar.v

Local\Temp\FEA5B9B3-BAB0-7891-8EFB-882CB7F79552

The report at the end reads

Disinfected 2

Quarantined 3

Deleted 3

This brings [ not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Agent.alwn ] brings up a boatload of hits

This one [ not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.DelBar.v ] brings up Kaspersky talking about a screensaver

Ask a Question