Problems accessing NAS on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
nas problem

Hi there,
I had the same problem with my nas lan pleiades drive
There is a way around this problem.
If your nas drive comes with a ftp server config. Use it.
Set your nas drive up with a static ip
do not use ie browser as it dont work with ftp(Microsoft knows about this problem)
use Firefox browser
type in ftp://”this is where you put you ip of nas drive” into firefox browser
if you can get access to your nas drive with ftp, bingo!

Download filezilla client from http://filezilla-project.org/
use this program to access your nas drive through ftp
I recommend if you can through your nas config menu,
to have a password on the ftp side of things
if you have a port setting for ftp use port 21

If you wish you can now setup a server for access to your files
any where in the world on the net. Allow a virtual server in your
router with protocol-tcp, ports are 21 and ip of your nas drive
using firefox type in ftp://”and your external ip” the external
ip is the one your internet provider gives you and you can find
it in your router or type in what is my ip in google to find.
Now you can use the same filezilla program
if you have not got a static ip from your internet provider
be checking your external ip hasn't changed all the time.

regards
kevin

Reaction score
I'm (or was) having the same problem.

I'm using a VOX N1 NAS it uses samba for shares

What I did is to use the NET USE command to connect manually using admin username and password . that allowed me to create the share, however I still cannot doubleclick the device to open it.

The command used was like this :

net use s: \\storagename \sharename /USER:admin adminpassword

is not the way I like it to work but at least it's a workaround.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Simple work around

The difficulty is caused by Windows7 security credentials blocking access to the drive. The simple work around is to map the share using the Administrators account and password thus:-

Enter the \\server\share-name in the map drive box and click on the Connect using different credentials box. When prompted for user and password enter "Administrator" and use the password you used to set up this account when you installed Windows7.
You will need to leave the password field blank when you create the share account on the network drive.

awh

Reaction score
HI

has there been any movement on this problem? I have the exact same issue as the original poster (iomega home network drive) and cannot access.
I have multiple shares set. I can access the share that has no security on it, however any share with security and no access. Also no access my double clicking in My computer

In summary:

W7 x64 RTM
iomega home network drive NAS

\\NAS1\users this works (no password set)
\\NAS1\media fails miserably with error 1208

I heard something about changing the local security policies to allow this to work - anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Mapping directly works for me

I'm having the same problem but to a different device. Mapping directly to the NAS share worked (as another posted pointed out). Open up "Computer" click "Map Network Drive" put in the UNC ( e.g. \\nas\share ) and give it a try.

Reaction score
I was able to successfuly map my NAS device by using
\\IPADDRESS\folder

The new drive will appear under my computer as another drive, NOT on your network list.

Reaction score
MAPPING A NETWORK DRIVE IN WINDOWS 7
To map a NAS drive click on “Computer” > “Map Network Drive” Leave the default drive letter and paste in the path i.e. \\myNAS\folders and modify it to suit your computer's path such as \\ND500\BACKUP where ND500 is the name of the network drive and BACKUP is the name of the folder that you wish to view.

The login and password is the one that you normally use to access the NAS (ie NOT YOUR NETWORK LOGIN AND PASSWORD)

This works for both my Freecom NAS!!!

Reaction score
Unable to connect to NAS - Qnap 409Pro T.

FIXED..
Found that by mapping to a drive on the NAS (im using a QNAP 409T Pro) with windows 7, If you use the LOCAL win 7 PC's Adminstrator or admin username and password - this will let you in. - Dont use the domain admin username or password.

might pay to check from a vista pc that the Local admin username and password that your using is added to the particular drive's security on the nas also - but i found it just worked for me.

Cheers

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I have been able to acces the hard drive using the Iomega Discovery Tool. I mount the network hard drive and it shows up under my computer not under network. I usually have to remount it every time I restart my computer but at least I can get to it. I certainly hope it is a fix Microsoft makes soon because I use this hard drive as an external automatic backup location so I really prefer it on the network, Also, like you, the other person on the network can see and use the Iomega HD, of course he(husband) is using a Mac and rubs it in, LOL.

Yvonne

Reaction score
Try to connect to the NAS using command prompt...

1) Open command prompt
2) Type, net use H: \\server\share

The H is the drive letter (you can use any letter you want). Server is the name of your NAS on the network. Share is the folder that you want to map. If you want to open a child directory just type \share\childdirectory where childdirectory is being your child folder.

I hope this helps, it worked for me!

Reaction score
Fix for Iomega Home Network Drive with old firmware

The following fix was sourced from the Iomega support forum and this thread. It makes shares on this NAS device available from Windows Explorer. Once the share is available to Explorer it can be mapped to a drive letter that is automatically reassigned when you boot your PC.

This solution works under Windows Professional but as it requires a change to the Windows policies you may not be able to apply it under home editions or in a corporate environment.

There are four steps:

1. To edit the local network security policy;
  2. To set up an auto logon credential;
  3. To map a drive letter;
  4. To reboot your system.
I recommend creating a restore point before starting out just in case something should go wrong.

Step 1

1. Hit the Start button and type gpedit.msc in the search box to open the policy editor tool.
  2. In the lefthand pane of the editor window expand the options as follows:
    1. Computer Configuration
    2. Windows Settings
    3. Security Settings
    4. Local Policies
    5. Security Options
  3. In the righthand move down to locate the policy "Network Security:Restrict NTML:Add server exceptions in this domain"
  4. Double click this item to open the editor and add the network address of the drive as //<servername>/* - in my case this was //STORAGE-BE09/*
    NB Be very careful with this step as you are telling Windows that all shares on this device are safe. You can qualify this by specifying only the share that you wish to access if this is a concern to you.
  5. Click apply and close the editor window.
Step 2

1. Hit the Start button and start typing credential manager then click the item when it appears in the search list
  2. The Windows Credentials section appears near the top of the list. Click the link 'Add a Windows Credential'
  3. Enter the network address of the drive, your user name and password. The Iomega device defaults are user admin and password admin
  4. Click OK and close the credential manager window.
Step 3

1. Hit <Windows><E> to open a new Explorer window
  2. Click 'Map network drive'
  3. Select the drive letter to assign to your NAS share
  4. Select the folder to be mapped from the drop down box.
Step 4

Reboot your system. Windows may take a few seconds longer than usual to come up this first time but after this you should not notice any difference other than having the network drive on your system.

Reaction score
Hi
This is now [SOLVED]

I also have a Pleiades USB-Lan Disk NAS, and was getting the "connect to" request with username and password window. There was NO password configured on the NAS, and no password/username combination either as recommended above or what I could think of, worked. FTP was connecting but constantly requesting the password/username be reentered! This was only on the one windows XP computer. A Windows 7 computer and another XP computer were fine. Both XP computers were SP3.

Running secpol.msc showed that the problem XP computer had a different entry under:
Local Policies - Security Options - Network Access -
'Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts'

There are two options available in the 'Sharing and security model...':
1. Classic: Local users authenticate as themselves.
2. Guest only: Local users authenticate as Guest.

The problem computer had the 'Guest only' option.

I changed it to the 'Classic' option.

Did not need to reboot

Also refer:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/fo...s/thread/80b401a1-1da2-43a3-a803-4136492483b0

I am not sure how this occured. Windows was recently repaired on this computer.

Good luck!

Reaction score
My 2p on solving the problem

To restate the problem is to have a samba share where it is set to guest deny access and you need to map it as a drive from windows. Note that of course if it was guest full access then by providing no user details when you map the drive you would appear as guest and inherit the guest access.

The solution that worked for me was to create an account on the nas with the same username and password as I was using in Windows. Then when I mapped the drive ....just leave the username/password blank as before. It must pick up your current details by default and since they are the same it applies them on the nas.

I also explicitly gave this new user full access to the share on the nas box too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question