Problems accessing NAS on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Support' started by thanweb, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thanweb

thanweb

I cannot get a connection to my Network Hard Drive!

I can see the drive in the network discovery as well as the other pc's on the network!

I can connect to and share files etc between the other pc's on the network....both xp and vista!

But, when i try to connect to my NAS i get Networ error (1208)!

I have searched and searched and cannot find a solution?

Anyone have any ideas?

N.B.

I have tried every driver possible for my NIC to see if that was the problem.

I have the Atheros AR5007 NIC and have tried all drivers from both atheros.com and atheros.cz!
    thanweb, Jan 22, 2009
  2. thanweb

Ian Administrator

What is the NAS you are using?

Can you get to the shares listing on the NAS, or does it not even get to that stage?
    Ian, Jan 22, 2009
  3. thanweb

thanweb

My NAS is this one...

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iomega-Home-Network-Hard-Drive/dp/B000WL0V2E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232629687&sr=8-2"]Iomega Home Network Hard Drive - NAS - 500 GB - Serial: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

I can see the drive in my network places but when i double click to connect i get the network error (1208)!

My other pc's on the network connect no problem......tempted to put vista back on this machine now but if i can get this working i won't need to.

I am a web designer and work from this pc more than the others and need access to the storage device as all my work is there!
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    thanweb, Jan 22, 2009
  4. thanweb

Ian Administrator

Ian, Jan 22, 2009
  5. thanweb

Ian Administrator

I've just spotted this, and it might work (a long shot!). It could force Windows 7 to use an older version of samba:

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/content.aspx?id=33

You could also try setting the credentials needed to access the NAS in the Windows 7 Credential Manager. To access the Credential Manager just start typing it in the Start Search box. You want to Add a Windows credential. In the Resource field enter the UNC to the NAS share e.g. \\NAS_Server_Name\Share_Name
    Ian, Jan 22, 2009
    greyCynic likes this.
  6. thanweb

thanweb

Not an option i'm afraid as other pc's access the drive and needs to stay on the network.......am going to try your other suggestions and will let you know how i get on....thank you
    thanweb, Jan 22, 2009
  7. thanweb

thanweb

I tried both the regedit and the Local Security Policy options and did not work after restart!

I also tried adding a Windows Crudential and got the error message - An error occurred while performing this operation -
    Error Code: 0x80070057
    Error Message: The parameter is incorrect

I have it entered ok now and the Windows Crudential has been set to:

Resource: \\Storage\websites

But, still get the error message when i double click the storage icon in network.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    thanweb, Jan 22, 2009
  8. thanweb

Ian Administrator

I'm all out of ideas for now, as I think it's something that MS are going to have to patch at their side. If I think of anything else or come across further info on the net I'll post back here :)
    Ian, Jan 22, 2009
  9. thanweb

thanweb

Is it possible that my NIC is causing the problem?

It did work ok when Vista was installed so am guessing that drivers are not 100% compatible with Windows 7.....hence why i tried plenty of different drivers to start with.....am getting lost and confused now lol
    thanweb, Jan 22, 2009
  10. thanweb

thanweb

ok thank you for your assistance :)
    thanweb, Jan 22, 2009
  11. thanweb

Geoffers

I think you said that your NAS uses drivers on Win7?

Therin lies the problem methinks. My Netgear also uses drivers and they do not work in Win7 either. My workaround was (on an XP box) to pick up the drive in Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management, give it a drive letter and then Share that drive.
    Then the Win7 box can access it. Means keeping on the XP box when I'm using the Win7 box, but, it works!
    Geoffers, Jan 22, 2009
  12. thanweb

xyvian

try accessing it directly via it's IP. in the search bar type \\your.ip.here and hit enter.

does it require a username and password?
    xyvian, Jan 22, 2009
  13. thanweb

Tw33k

I'm having the same exact problem with my NAS. I updated the FW and bootloader to no avail. I sent feedback to MS and I included a link to this thread. I also noticed that using net view gave me this "System error 3221225487 has occurred. The system cannot find message text for message number 0xc000000f in the message file for BASE."
    Tw33k, Jan 23, 2009
  14. thanweb

thanweb

i can log into the ip address no problem.....but that is the configuration page of the NAS!

I can also log into the ftp via the browser...but i need to be able to be on the network to grab files on the fly, modify them and save them etc.
    thanweb, Jan 23, 2009
  15. thanweb

thanweb

would i need to hook this up to the xp machine via usb cable then?

at present it is attached to the network (plugged into my router with ethernet cable) and is not being picked up in disk management on the xp machine!
    thanweb, Jan 23, 2009
  16. thanweb

Geoffers

No! Just share it from your other machine then the W7 box will see it on the other machine!
    Geoffers, Jan 23, 2009
  17. thanweb

thanweb

it does not appear in the list of available drives to share when connected through the network as i said above!

it does however when i plug it into that machine via usb.....BUT... the instant it starts to read content on the drive i get BSOD with all kind of driver errors......installed the drivers from the manufacturers disk and downloaded drivers from website but still happens everytime....grrrrrrrrrrrr
    thanweb, Jan 26, 2009
  18. thanweb

Geoffers

But you've already said that you can access from your other machines!
    Set it up as a drive on your XP/Vista machine and then share it!
    Then, the W7 machine will see it.
    Or, try accessing it from Network Places on the W7 machine!
    Geoffers, Jan 26, 2009
  19. thanweb

SanfordE

Same Problem

Hi Guys,
    i have been following this issue as I have exactly the same problem with my NAS device. Works fine with Vista adn Windows Server 2008. However, it does not work with Windows Server 2008 R2, which I am assuming the security code is identical for Windows 7 hence we are having the same problem.

Geoffers, you cannot share the mapped drive from the vista pc.
    You can connect to the device from my server using \\nasservername\sharename but not using plain \\nasservername.

Thanweb, I feel your pain...
    I am speaking with some people in Microsoft and hope to have something soon.
    Kind regards,
    Sanford
    SanfordE, Jan 27, 2009
  20. thanweb

Geoffers

It's not a 'mapped' drive when assigned in Disk Management! It's a 'physical drive and can be shared just like any other drive.

I DO NOT make untested suggestions!
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    Geoffers, Jan 27, 2009