Problems Accessing NAS Drive with Wireless in Windows 7

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace a Win 7 desktop that I'm mainly using as a file server for my two Win 7 laptops. Currently, I have an external HDD enclosure with 2 drives (320GB and 80GB). I am sharing those drives thru the desktop via network shares. I have both drives mapped on both laptops. Everything works flawlessly (iTunes streaming, general storage purposes, etc.). I am trying to get a Buffalo LinkStation Live (LS-CHL-500 / 500GB) online. I can access it thru a wired connection from my desktop. I can see it from my laptop. I can click on it from Network in Win 7 and get to the root folder where the default share folders are. I can access the default share drive. I can copy and paste a file in the default share folder. If I try to open the file the default program for the file opens up, but hangs and then errors out. I can't access it via the web browser on either of the laptops, but I can access it thru the web browser on my iPhone and my HTC Droid Eris. I can ping it all day long. I can access it in Windows Explorer with the UNC name and with the IP address. I can map it, but I get to the same point and get the same results. Any suggestions?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Robert.

Are you able to try connecting the laptop to your router/NAS via a wired connection please, just to see if it is indeed the wireless part of the equation that is causing the problem?

Also, are the shares password protected at all? It may be worth checking the NAS logs to see if anything has cropped up there.

Reaction score
I can connect to it hard wired with the laptop. No setting are changed. I just plugged the cat5 into the laptop and there are no issues. When I connect wirelessly with the same laptop with the same settings I get the issues I mentioned earlier.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you running a firewall on the laptops, and does it work if this is temporarily disabled?

Can you try to update your network adapter drivers, as this may help resolve the problem. If you can't find the latest drivers, just let me know the laptop model and I'll try to locate them for you.

If that fails, can you also try to update the NAS firmware to latest version (http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/).

Reaction score
I've tried without firewall & I get the same issue. I just updated the Intel wireless drivers on the laptops before I got the NAS.

Ask a Question