Problem with Context Menu [Send to] on Win7 64bit

Reaction score
I have a brand new, custom built, Win7 64bit rig.

Problem:

When I use the context menu [Send to] it ONLY shows [Documents] and my drives.

When I go into my User profile (using SHELL:SENDTO or navigating) my full list IS there.

Is there a way to make Win7 refresh or see my full Send To list?

Reaction score
It just occurred to me.

I check the [Send to] folder for the [Default] User. Sure enough, that is what I'm getting.

In other words I get the [Default] User [Send to] instead of my account's User [Send to].

BUT, copying the contents of my User [Send to] does NOT fix the problem.

Looks like a Registry error, but what and how to fix?

Last edited:
Reaction score
From what is happening I gather that Win7's [SendTo] does NOT work like WinXP. That is, Win7 cannot use shortcuts in the [SendTo] folder.

I'm I correct

If what I surmised is true, this is just another example of Microdunce breaking a good thing

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No, it is perfectly OK to have shortcuts in your Send To but what is displayed when you right-click is dynamic based on the type of item under the right-click and can be a combination of lists from multiple places. The place where you need to add your shortcut is:
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
Paste that into the Windows Explorer bar at the top, then right-click and add a shortcut to, for example, Notepad.exe.

Source: How-to-Geek

Reaction score
Attached is a screenshot of my problem, items in folder NOT showing in context menu.

Already tried many suggested fixes (Win7 Pro).

Win7Pro_SendTo_Folder.jpg

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It may be that those programs can't accept a file in that way. The program itself has to be designed to take a file as a parameter. If it cannot be run as "yourprogramhere.exe filename" then it cannot be the target of Send To.

Add notepad as a shortcut and you should see that does work because it can accept a filename to open.

Reaction score
It may be that those programs can't accept a file in that way. The program itself has to be designed to take a file as a parameter. If it cannot be run as "yourprogramhere.exe filename" then it cannot be the target of Send To.

Add notepad as a shortcut and you should see that does work because it can accept a filename to open.
No, adding Notepad did NOT work. Still get what is in my uploaded pic.

Ask a Question