Problem with 4GB of RAM

Reaction score
I would be grateful for some advice.

I have an ASROCK Dual SATA 2 mother board currently running with 2GB ram with 4 512MB modules in dual channel mode (Requires two identical modules in both channels).

I though it would be good to max out the RAM by buying 4 x 1GB modules from Crucial.

I have just installed this and on first boot I see the post mem check as 4GB in dual chanel mode, all good so far. Boot into windows and get BSOD. Reboot same again, try boot repair and get to desk top quickly followed by BSOD. Another reboot and get to desk top and even in to Task Manager which shows only 2GB. Try and run a program you get a freeze or BSOD, messages on BSOD have been varied, some say memory management, some IRQL not equal to (had this in the past if hardware gets too hot or overclocked).

I thought the modules may be at fault so I took them all out and just installed 2 x 1GB in the first two channels, all worked fine. Swapped out and installed the other two also in the first channel, again all worked fine so I assume the modules are OK. Added all four back and can boot to desk top by soon get BSOD. (BIOS check shows all modules recognised and running as DDR 400).

So I added 2 x 1GB in channels 1 and 2 and 2 x 512 in channels 3 and 4. POST shows 3GB running in dual channel mode but windows reports 2.5GB. In this mode all works fine.

So, what is going on. Why does windows not like the 4 x 1GB and why does it report 2.5GB when 3GB is installed?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Andy

Additional note, just had BSOD with message memory management.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is this your board? - 4CoreDual-SATA2

- Dual Channel DDR/DDRII memory technology*
- 2 x DDR2 DIMM slots
- Supports DDRII667/533 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB
- 2 x DDR DIMM slots
- Supports DDR400/333/266 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB

*DDRII and DDR are supported separately

Reaction score
No over clocking, all default settings.

939Dual Sata 2

Product Specifications

General CPU- Socket 939 for AMD Athlon™ 64FX / 64X2 / 64 processors
- FSB 1000 MHz (2.0GT/s)
- Supports HyperTransport Technology
- Supports AMD Cool'n'Quiet Technology Chipset- Northbridge: ULi® M1695
- Southbridge: ULi® M1567 Memory- Dual Channel DDR memory technology
- 4 x DDR DIMM slots
- Supports DDR400 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 4GB*

*Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows® XP. For Windows® XP 64-bit with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation.
BIOS- 2Mb AMI BIOS with ACPI, SM BIOS 3.0, PnP Audio, Video and Networking Graphics- n/a Audio- Realtek 850 7.1channel AC'97 audio codec LAN- Realtek RTL8201CL 10/100 Ethernet LAN PHY
- 802.3u, WOL supported Expansion / Connectivity Slots- 1 x Future CPU Port (Supports CPU upgrade from AMD K8 939-Pin CPU to AM2 940-Pin CPU through AM2 CPU Board)
- 1 x AGP8X/4X slot , 1.5V only
- PCI Express x16 slot
- PCI Express x1 slot
- 3 x PCI slots Connector- 2 x SerialATA connectors support RAID,0,1,JBOD
- 1 x SATA2 connector (based on PCI E SATA2 controller JMB360)
- 2 x ATA 133/100/66 IDE connectors (supports 4 x IDE devices)
- 1 x Floppy connector
- CPU/Chassis FAN connectors
- 20 pin ATX power connector
- 4 pin ATX 12V power connector
- Power LED connector
- CD audio in header
- Front panel audio connector
- 2 x USB 2.0 port pin headers (to support extra 4 USB2.0 ports) Rear Panel I/OASRock 8CH I/O
- 4 x USB2.0 ports
- 1 x RJ45 LAN port
- 1 x Serial port (COM1)
- 1 x PS2 Keyboard connector
- 1 x PS2 Mouse connectors
- 1 x Parallel port (LPT1)
- 2 x Audio ports to support 8 Ch audio ( Line In/Out, Mic In) Other Features / Miscellaneous Unique FeatureHybrid Booster:
- CPU Frequency Stepless control
- CPU Multiplier
- ASRock U-COP
- Boot Failure Guard (B.F.G) Support CD- Drivers, Utilities, AntiVirus Software
- SATA driver and utility Accessories- Quick Installation Guide, Support CD, I/O shield
- Floppy/ATA 133 Cables
- 1 x SerialATA Data Cable (optional)
- 1 x SerialATA 1-to-1 Power Cable (optional) Hardware Monitor- CPU Temperature Sensing
- Motherboard Temperature Sensing
- CPU Fan Tachometer
- Chassis Fan Tachometer
- Voltage Monitoring: +12V, +5V, +3.3V, Vcore Form Factor- ATX, 305mm x 244mm

Reaction score
Did you use the Crucial Memory Checker to identify the memory needed?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi andyrpsmith

In your first post this tread you say
Why does windows not like the 4 x 1GB
what version of Windows are you running ?

Reaction score
Running windows 7 and using Crucial memory chosen from the compatible options suitable for the ASROCK mother board on their site.

The memory is two kits of matched pairs of PC3200 DDR

Previous memory is 4 x TwinMos PC3200 DDR 400 512

Andy

Reaction score
939Dual-SATA2
- Dual Channel DDR memory technology
- 4 x DDR DIMM slots
- Supports DDR400 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 4GB
Probably not going to help but have you checked for a BIOS update to that board?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
windows 7 ... 32 or 64bit it does matter with RAM :)

Reaction score
Looking at the BIOS up dates they relate to AM2 processor socket updates, the mother board can accept an additional CPU mounting board for the newer AMD AM2 socket processors. The strange thing is that going into setup shows all is fine with all four modules identified and running at DDR 400.

Reaction score
Running windows 7 32 bit. So I should see at least 3.5GB in task manager I would of thought.

I have taken out the 2 x 512 modules and have 2 x 1GB crucial in first two slots at the moment.

Reaction score
I suppose I could add the 4 x 1GB modules and reduce the speed from DDR 400 and see if that stops the BSOD?

What do you guys think? I don't like to keep crashing the PC as Windows tries to fix everything on its own.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Windows 7 32bit will only utilise up to 3GB RAM, taking in to account your graphics.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
No its not doing your system any good keep crashing it i believe you said it ran OK with 2X1GB & 2X512MB = 3GB stay at that M8 if you want to use 32bit.

Reaction score
I went with 32 bit as I was not sure about availability of 64bit drivers for the mother board.

I should be able to run 2 x 1GB and 2 x 512 without a problem, but it still BSOD after an hour or so.

Reaction score
I have an idea, I will run setup and look at what voltage the board is running the crutial modules, I think the crucial spec was 2.6V

Ask a Question