Printer Preferences - Missing Settings

Reaction score
I installed the Windows 7 beta yesterday and so far have been pretty impressed. I do have one gripe and was wondering if anyone on here has a similar problem (or better yet a solution :rolleyes:).

My printer, an HP All in one 1510, installs fine. The drivers are downloaded on windows update and the printer shows up in the devices center and I can print to it.

The problem is that a number of the settings that I could control under "Printer Preferences" are gone. I print out a lot of documents and so I usually have my printer on its "fast draft" setting. I tried installing the HP drivers on the website and nothing seems to change.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone have any advice on trying to get all the settings there?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The default Windows drivers sometimes lack the control of the manufacturers drivers, so I'm surprised that installing them direct from HP did nothing (then again, the OS is beta). Did you run the setup files from HP, or do a manual driver update from Device Manager?

Reaction score
The first time I just ran the setup files from HP. Which didn't help. So I tried to update the drivers automatically through device manager and once device manager found the drivers the setup program from HP opened itself up. Any idea how I could get around this and actually just update the drives? It seems like that might help.

Reaction score
You're lucky your printer even works. I have lost my HP deskjet, Canon i900d photo printer, my brother mfc, and my Epson 4990 photo scanner. I can't find any drivers that will work.

Reaction score
printer preferences

Has anyone yet found a way around this? I see these were posted in January of 2009. I am still having the problem in 2010...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
HP updated the drivers Oct 21, 2010 (after this post was abandoned) and it claims they are full feature. Please make sure you have the latest drivers and if there is a problem use their Contact HP option at the bottom for further assistance.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=428800#N678
64bit 2009-10-21 , Version:13.1.0, 362.68M This download includes the HP Deskjet and Officejet Software Suite (enhanced imaging features and product functionality) and Driver.
If you have 32bit then set the OS accordingly.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, mrsmo10! Many times when a printer won't work in Windows 7, a virtual machine (VM) may help. If you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, you can get Windows Virtual PC with XP Mode from Microsoft for free. The only requirement is validation, and if you didn't apply that WAT update (back a few months ago), it will be applied for you.

If you have Home Premium, VirtualBox would be a really good solution, but you must have a copy of XP (home or pro) or Win 2K will do as well.

There is another solution (VMLite) that can be found on this site. Where the forum options are (that long black bar), click "Search", make sure "threads" are checked, type in "vm lite" (w/o the quotes), there will be a list of threads. On the second page of this search, about five or so down, will be a thread titled "XP Mode in Windows 7 without Hardware Virtualization". Click onto it, and follow the instructions in the first post. Everything is free, but you must register to get the VMLite Workstation.

What you will have is a virtual copy of XP Pro SP3, that will allow you to run many apps that won't run in Windows 7. Make sure that you install an anti-virus (MSE will do, it's free from Microsoft) in the machine after you have it updated.

And make sure that you read the instructions very carefully, VM's are not difficult to maintain, but at first, they can seem tricky to use. Should you require further assistance, always feel free to post back.

Best of Luck,
Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to the HP website the latest drivers they list are W7 compatible. They have been updated and options may not match the old ones. I can tell you my audio driver interface looks nothing like it used to.

I would definitely try to get the drivers working native before ever going to the extreme of trying to use them in a virtual box.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The link TrainableMan provided is a GOOD link for Windows 7 drivers for the HP PSC 1510 All-In-One Printer.

Click that link and it should be good for you!

Ask a Question