"Please insert a disc into drive F:" - dvd read error - windows 7

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Whenever i try and insert a disc & click the dvd drive, it says "Please insert a disc into drive F:" This happens whenever i put a burned disc. I can burn a dvd though. I have attached the screenshot for the exact message. I earlier had Windows XP and i could read the dvd but i cant in windows 7. Also i could not read in vista. I tried in different machines. But it was recognised in all XP machines but not in Windows 7 or vista machines. Also i tried with different burned discs but same result. Please tell me what can be the issue. I can read different driver CDs & DVDs (autorun discs). The hardware is fine i checked that too.

Thanks

Attachments

Reaction score
Also when it displays the above mentioned message, the tray ejects for the disc even though the disc is inside.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
What kind of CD are you trying to read? What's on it?

Btw: Welcome to the forums!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless a final track is written, a CD can only be read by the CD drive it was created on. Many people like the ability to add files to the end of a CD (or they just don't know they have to check the option in the burn software to tell the burner to generate a final track) - either way these discs need finalized on the original burner before they can be read by another player.

Of course the other possibility is the drive is bad but you indicated it does work for DVDs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another alternative is that Daemon tools or virtual drive software may be interfering.

Reaction score
The fact that your only having a problem with burned disks has me thinking it was something in the original burn process. Can you get/borrow a disk burned on another computer. See if you can open that.

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Whenever i try and insert a disc & click the dvd drive, it says "Please insert a disc into drive F:" This happens whenever i put a burned disc. I can burn a dvd though. I have attached the screenshot for the exact message. I earlier had Windows XP and i could read the dvd but i cant in windows 7. Also i could not read in vista. I tried in different machines. But it was recognised in all XP machines but not in Windows 7 or vista machines. Also i tried with different burned discs but same result. Please tell me what can be the issue. I can read different driver CDs & DVDs (autorun discs). The hardware is fine i checked that too.

Thanks
I have the same problem and now it not detect any DVD/CDs . always show this message.
Please help me

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Vimay your CD/DVD-Rom player may have gone bad, this happens quite often and they are easily replaced. This is only a possibility of course; I would start first by checking device manager and see if it detects any problems with the player and also right-click and try to find a new driver.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
reza, do any DVD/CDs work in the drive? Have you rebooted the computer and the problem persists? What type of computer do you have, a desktop or laptop?

You might check out this THREAD on Microsoft's site including trying Mr Fixit.

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Thanks

Reaction score
I've inserted a disc on my desk-top computer and it says"insert a disc into drive F" Does it mean that the disc is damaged?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is uncommon now but it used to be possible to write a CD/DVD and not "close" it. This allowed you to add more information at a later time but it also meant it only worked in THAT machine until you finally closed it with a contents track. It sounds like you may have such a disk created on your XP machine, that was never closed, if so then the CD/DVD can not be used in another computer.

Ask a Question