"Please insert a Disc into drive" Error

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of these threads but couldn't find anything similar.
So i'll just explain the problem how it started.

I had to burn a lot of dvd's, and was burning 2 dvd's simultaneously using 2 different programs (Ashampoo and Imgburn), everything was going fine, I started playing Eve online a bit, 1st set of dvd's burned fine, continued burning them, 1 dvd burned fine, second one stopped with an error which was something like this:
xx:xx Burning Complete
xx:xx Burning Failed.
I was like wtf? After that error it started burning Lead-out and got stuck at around 30% for 5 mins, so i just terminated the process and the problem is as the topic states, with both drives.

I have 4gb ram and 2,4 ghz quad core cpu so everything should've been fine with buffer, it was at max all the time even while playing.
The device manager detects both drives and says that they are working fine.
Tried uninstalling the drives and restarting pc, problem still remains, so what could be the problem? And as far as it looks, it seems that both drives are dead just responding to actions open/close...

Attached pic with my dvd drives

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
High eXefinity and Welcome to the Forum.

There could be stuff still being queued for burning.

Make sure you can see hidden files and folders, including the system, then GoTo > C:\Users\\Username\AppData\local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder\.

See if there's anything in there waiting to be burnt.

(Ta V. Much Davehc!!)

Reaction score
High eXefinity and Welcome to the Forum.

There could be stuff still being queued for burning.

Make sure you can see hidden files and folders, including the system, then GoTo > C:\Users\\Username\AppData\local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder\.

See if there's anything in there waiting to be burnt.

(Ta V. Much Davehc!!)
Sadly it didn't work, even tried searching everything related to "burn" in appdata and deleting, and then uninstalling all programs related to dvd drives. Results are still the same. If it's not hardware related, then i'll try reinstalling windows tomorrow.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you tried completely shutting it down and turning it on again? Not just restart.

And have you actually put discs in the drives that are not blanks but are actual closed with lead-out just to see if it is recognizing any disk at all?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you tried completely shutting it down and turning it on again? Not just restart.

And have you actually put discs in the drives that are not blanks but are actual closed with lead-out just to see if it is recognizing any disk at all?
You mean by unplugging the hardware from pc? haven't tried that. Will try it in a min and report back.
About the discs, i've tried everything. Usually when you put a disc into drive, it starts spinning to read it, in my case, it does nothing at all

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If they are USB DVD drives then yes completely unplug them and try plugging them in a different slot.

But no I was just hoping removing actual power would help.

Reaction score
If they are USB DVD drives then yes completely unplug them and try plugging them in a different slot.

But no I was just hoping removing actual power would help.
Ok tried that, turned off pc, unplugged both data and power cables from both drives, booted up pc, turned off again, plugged both back in, and still the same

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do the drives show up in Drive Management? Maybe try unassigning the drive letters or changing the drive letters and then reboot?

EDIT: What I meant for Drive Management was opening Computer Management and selecting Disk Management.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do the drives show up in Drive Management? Maybe try unassigning the drive letters or changing the drive letters and then reboot?
In device manager? Yes they do show up under dvd/cd rom drives. And how can i change those drive letters?

edit:
ok nwm, found out what you mean, trying it now..

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I just dealt with this on another site. See if it works for you, although your problem is worded a little differently. Rather than type it all, I am just pasting "as is"

IfTry right clicking it and uninstall. reboot the computer and it should reinstall, and at the same time, rewrite the correct registry entry.

If this does not do the trick, it is possibly that one of yopur DVD programs has wrongly prescribed the DVD filters. The recommended (Microsoft) fix for this requires a registry edit.:

Type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs.

Reaction score
I just dealt with this on another site. See if it works for you, although your problem is worded a little differently. Rather than type it all, I am just pasting "as is"

IfTry right clicking it and uninstall. reboot the computer and it should reinstall, and at the same time, rewrite the correct registry entry.

If this does not do the trick, it is possibly that one of yopur DVD programs has wrongly prescribed the DVD filters. The recommended (Microsoft) fix for this requires a registry edit.:

Type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs.
Neither of those are present :/

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know, it seems unlikely two DVD drives would go bad at the same time. If you're comfortable editing the registry you might want to give Dave's idea a shot.

EDIT: I see you were typing at the same time. I don't see any upper or lowerfilters under my my registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know, it seems unlikely two DVD drives would go bad at the same time. If you're comfortable editing the registry you might want to give Dave's idea a shot.
Sec, i'll try installing imgburn it displays the error when trying to burn something into disc, ashampoo displays an error showing that disc might contain data.

Reaction score
Ok, now there's something new, imgburn used to allow me to burn dvd's yesterday, but it was showing some sort of error, now i get the error before burning saying: "Device not ready (Incompatible medium installed)"

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That means it does not like the DVD in the device. The standard answer is either the DVD is bad, the DVD drives firmware needs updated, the laser needs cleaned, or the drive is bad and needs replaced.

But the thing that seems odd is that you say it happens on both drives.

(Also FYI you should set the drives back to the original drive letters as it can mess up registry entries, etc)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, my pc is a real mystery. So mainly what I did, was:
Uninstall my both drives.
Then unplugging both drives and plugging back in
changing drive letter back and forth
Uninstalling drives again.

Results, my pioneer drive suddenly works
Optiarc drive looks completely dead, now it displays "CD Drive (H:)" on My Computer

Reaction score
Ok, after restrting PC once more, both drives have the same problem again when it asks to insert disc... Is there a chance that something could be wrong with data cables? one is sata and another one is IDE (if that matters)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Going back in the thread a little. If those two registry items did not exists, at that stage the DVD burners were not installed.
But obviously that was not the problem. But I do query why you are using two burning programs. IMo, perhaps the configurations on each are conflicting?Try and uninstall (I would go for imgburn) one of them and restart. I do know Ashampoo works 100% in Windows 7 - it is my default.

Ask a Question