Please help. Not accessing internet, though tray icon says I have access

Reaction score
Hello and thank you in advance for any help you may provide me as it's MUCH needed. I have a toshiba a135-s4666(sTelite) running windows 7 professional and AVG antivirus. Yesterday I tried to download an xbox emulator so my son could play video games on my laptop and in the process I screwed something up. My system tray icon shows that I'm connected to the router with internet access however I'm receiving no info. My AVG found 405 locked files ex. C:\hiberfil.sys, and also removed a bunch of tracking cookies. Went to command prompt and initiated a Ping test to google and session timed out. No matter what browser I use it comes up "can't display page". I've tried hardwiring with the same result. Looked into system restore but don't have any restore points made, nor have I made a restore disc(don't know how). The only attempt I've made to UNDO via system restore was met with an error code that a file was in use and that the restore was unsuccessful. Also yesterday I ran a scan with avg which brought I also recently purchased the computer from craigslist and of course the windows product key is not listed on the device. I've reset my LAN settings in IE. I tried to enter my computer into safe mode which has also proved impossible. I'm stumped. Please help me to restore my device to working order in time for work tomorrow. God bless.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Just as a test uninstall AVG and/ or other firewall software, then reboot your computer.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Disabled is not the same as uninstalled. You need to uninstall the software.

Reaction score
oh okay. i will completely uninstall the software after my work day. thankfully i was able to use another computer to download Ubuntu and install it from the usb so i am able to get online and accomlish my tasks for now though this os is a little glitchy. i would like to return to using my windows 7. i installed the ubuntu alongside windows 7 and partitioned 20 gigs on my harddrive for ubuntu which aft5er the windows problem is reswolved and i delete ubuntu i hope that the partition returns to normal. thank you so very much for lyour responses and your help. I do truely appreciate it. At least i know at this point that i do indeed have a software issue not a hardware issue.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate, it's good that you tried Linux. That proves, as you discovered, the problem is in Windows.
You could have just used a Live version of linux to test with.

Ask a Question