Playing music freezes PC

Reaction score
Hi to all, I downloaded win 7 4 days ago, for now it's working fine but having problems with my music files, I did a back up of my files, have restored all my files but when I try to do the music files it freezes I noticed that my processor dual core 2 runs at 100%, when I cancel the operation processor goes down to about 2to 5%, this happens also when I open window media player, I just downloaded Itunes that I use for my Ipod, I try to open Itunes and nothing happens, any advise on what could be the problem??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What do you use to play the music files, just Windows Media Player? Do any other music players do this too (like VLC Player).

Also, which process is it that remains at 100%?

Reaction score
yes I did until just a while ago when I downloaded Itunes, it seems it's working fine it is converting my music files as I write this reply havent use it yet, about the processor anytime I use the windows media player the prossesor will shoot to 100% of usage as per cpu meter with no other program working, besides I have tried to restore my music files and everytime I try the program freezes.

Reaction score
hello, i just recently bought an hp pavilion laptop with windows 7 on it. ever since I have bought the computer I have been having problems, and I believe the culprit is windows 7. Whenever I visit music websites (pandora, grooveshark) or youtube the internet freezes, and then I have to restart the explorer window. I am a college student and am wondering if the firewalls or virus protection (norton antivirus) that they have installed are restrcting my acsess. No one else has expereinces problems, yet none of them have windows 7. Therefore before I go and return this computer and exchange it for one that works (as I am not very computer literate) and really only want a reliable computer is there anything that can be done? Thank you much for your time!

Reaction score
I dont think you will find an answer to your petition here, I have been waiting for a reply to my inquiry since july. I f Microsoft dont fix the problem I will reinstall win vista, for me personally the the win 7 is no good.

Reaction score
solution! :)

hiii!
im really happy 'cause i've fixed the problem or at least it work for me
just go to google, write windows and enter to microsoft's web...
then, go to helps and procedements - windows 7 ... in top solution you will find NO SOUND OR SOUND PROBLEMS click and do all what they told you to do.
open the fixer programs and after all of that you might play music without problem :)
i hope that its not too late for you
au revoir :)

pd: i speak spanish but i do my best and i hope you can uderstand me :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Always verify you have the latest sound drivers for your equipment

And you might try Microsoft Fix-it, simply choose the one for sound problems.

Reaction score
hey bro :(
in my last pot i said I'd found the solution and it really worked for 2 days :(
today it has started again and now its worst :'(
i hope somebody has the answer and share it with us :'(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Make and model of your PC? What windows OS do you have, 32 or 64-bit?
What anti-virus software are you using?
Do any other applications slow down or only your music? Is the music on your hard drive as an mp3? or is it on a CD? or on a flash drive? or streaming from the web?

Reaction score
This is ridiculous, someone get Microsoft on the phone! I am becomming used to my freezes as an everyday (multiple times) part of my computer usage. One day I will SNAP!

Reaction score
This is ridiculous, someone get Microsoft on the phone! I am becomming used to my freezes as an everyday (multiple times) part of my computer usage. One day I will SNAP!
It's not a Windows or Microsoft issue at all. It's your 3rd party software that you installed or a hardware issue.

Reaction score
I know mate, this is the general response I see in regards to this problem, but this problem is huge - so many people have this problem. Windows 7 is the latest technology Microsoft has for our home PC's, yet it can't handle numerous software's and hardware's? I would feel a lot better if there was a small list of these that tend to be a culprit - but there isn't - we all apparently have installed something that our W7 doesn't like, but there is no common item. I'm sorry but it doesn't seem right.
Did Windows XP have many people with freezing issues?
This problem to me is beyond frustrating, just recently I had my first freeze in my trusted "super stable" DAW "Reason," something which is not supposed to happen. Now this is down to one of the many drivers or one of the programs I have installed because Windows 7 doesn't like it... The way I see it - everything that worked on the previous version of Windows should be backwards compatible with the latest version.
Please don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for people like yourself who are not affiliated with Microsoft, yet you help people here who would otherwise have to find other means to find solutions or advice to their problems, but I can't help but feel you may have a biased view on these problems. Really - it has NOTHING to do with W7?

Kindest regards

Jimmy

Reaction score
W7 is absolutely perfect. Even my 2001 768 MB RDRAM P4 1.5 gHz non-hyperthreading machine, with NVIDIA 6200A-Le behaves that way with it.

Honestly, any problems come 100% from 3rd party software, hardware or bios settings issues.

I maintain 6 different machines from all years, AMD/Intel and NVIDIA/ATI. Not a single issue to speak of and uptimes of months.

It's all because I know what the deal is, so-to-speak. So basically, unless there is a hardware defect, it completely depends on the users' know-how.

Reaction score
Here is a re-post of one I've made a few weeks ago.

You can also add malware as a possible cause too. Scan with Malwarebytes after updating definitions.

"Here is the comprehensive guide:

1) Remove the current antivirus in safe mode using the tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Reboot and install MSE and nothing else, to replace the old antivirus.

2) Update the bios to newest. Set failsafe settings and save, as a test and/or permanent repair.

3) Make sure in the event manager that hard drive errors and not causing the freezes. Defragment the hdds.

4) Update all the drivers from the manufacturers' sites only.

5) Uninstall any unnecessary 3rd party tools that start with Windows.
Use msconfig to disable all 3rd party services temporarily then reboot. See how it goes. If good, enable things one by one while rebooting each time until the issue returns. You've now found the culprit.

That pretty much covers everything with freezes. If you have bsods, then that is entirely different and users should create a new thread with their issue after viewing the sticky thread in that part of the forum."

Reaction score
OK cool, can you explain to me how to do step 2 please? I am broadcasting a 2 hour dj set this saturday so luckily I have my XP PC.

Reaction score
answer

ive got a vaio serie e 4 dram almost 1 gb video, windows 7 64 bits, norton 360 and no it doesnt freezes with any other program just with music ones

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
MTVA,
My first suggestion would be check the sound driver - make sure you have the latest. Vaio Series E model # ?

You might also try uninstalling Norton 360 (write down the product key first so you can reinstall if it is not the problem) with the the Norton software removal tool

Jimmy,
BIOS updates are downloaded from the manufacturers site. Once it's installed you shut down the computer and then turn it on. Within the first few seconds you need to hit a special key to access the bios such as F10 or Del (it varies from model to model but it often tells you right on the screen).

Failsafe settings would mean to reset your BIOS to the default settings (before doing this I would write down all the current settings). I think the primary reason for this would be to make sure there is no overclocking, as that can cause system problems easily, but I don't know for certain.

Ask a Question